How to keep bulldogs dry? New owner seeking some guidance.

staciepap

Apr 6, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi there. I Am new to this forum and new to having an English bulldog. I have wanted one for years and am so glad to say I finally have one. Her name is coco and she is now about 4 and a half months old(18 weeks). She is just a doll and has brought so much joy to our lives. I am learning how to take care of her the best I can and trying not to spoil her rotten. Lol. But I would love it if I could have some guidance on how you guys keep you bulldogs dry and what is "norm" for bulldogs. When my bulldog was younger she never really teared but now my bulldog the last month has been really tearring up. She is wet practically all day long. She is dry at first but then slowly the tears start so I was told to just wipe them down with a soft cloth when they are wet. But that is all the time. I wipe them and 20 minutes later she is still wet so i wipe them again and then when I look (maybe a half hour/hour later) she is wet again. Seriously seems to never get dry. When people say "dry them" is there a way to really every get them fully dry? I wipe them but they never get fully dry. They aren't irritated at all, just wet and now the last month also stained. She doesn't have a nose rope right now so I don't have to worry about that one just the deeper one by the eyes. I have tried desitin which she hates but I can sometimes get on her when she is napping. Lol. Sneak attack. It still doesn't keep her dry though, at least not lately. I have also tried cornstarch but that hasn't worked to keep her dry either. Plus how to you guys put it on. It seems to want to just fall off and stay on the surface. Maybe i am , not doing it right. Do you use your finger? What do you use to keep them dry?

She was on the horrible science diet food against my better judgement that my vet put her on (for about a month or so ugh!) but I got her off about 3 weeks ago and switched to natures logic lamb which is gluten free and supposed to be great but she is still wet. Could this be related to her food or is amount of tearing normal? I heard that teething could have something to do with it and wondered what everyone's experience is.

Also My vet had told me once a day to clean her with rubbing alcohol to clean her but also keep her dry but I stopped doing that after a few days because she couldn't stand it and I thought it was too harsh. What do you guys use and how many times a week do you do it.

I am using everything from baby wipes, to chlorhexidine 3 percent pads to spa lavish facial scrub to clean and help remove tear stains which hasn't helped with that so far. It seemed like in my opinion when I left her alone and didn't clean her wrinkles as much she stayed drier.

Thank you so much for the help. I greatly appreciate it. Sorry so darn long

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've just answered your post in the other thread.

This is what I asked ..... watering eyes can be a sign of allergies or entropian. Has your vet checked for entropian?

And yes watering eyes and tear stains can definitely be caused by teething.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Karen gave you great info for what can be causing the constant tears.... I have this issue with my girl too, it is all allergy related so what I use is Witch hazel on a cotton pad once sometimes twice a day.

It does not stop her tears, but it helps lessen the tear stains.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
and it could be getting worse as you indicate because of enviromental allergies caused by spring. Its important to try to keep it dry but not over wipe and make it raw. Hard task to keep balanced.

Benedryl can be given at a rate of 1kg/1lb.

Last edited:
OP
staciepap

staciepap

Apr 6, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]

He has looked at her eyes but never mentioned entropian but I don't know if he was looking for it. so not sure. He had just told me it was normal and to just wipe her down. I think I might change her food again in another week. Might try salmon this time.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@kazzy220

He has looked at her eyes but never mentioned entropian but I don't know if he was looking for it. so not sure. He had just told me it was normal and to just wipe her down. I think I might change her food again in another week. Might try salmon this time.

you may want to try just a dab of Desetin on your finger tip, on the tear stains and in the nose rope, and tail pocket . and then clean every other day or so and then reapply

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220

If you are going to change food then I would stick within the same brand of food that you are currently on. It's not good to keep switching and changing things all the time.

There are three possibilities:-

Teething ... and there really is nothing you can do about it

Allergies ... environmental or something in the food

entropian ... where the eye lashes are rubbing against the eye

Given the age it could just be teething.

You did say it seemed to get alittle better when you left them alone ... maybe try that and see what happens.

It unfortuntately is a lot of trial and error when it comes to bulldogs!!!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
:dancing: Welcome Stacie and Coco! Don't worry how long your post are everyone is here to help. Hopefully it's just those darn baby teeth and it will be over soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.