Help Needed! teething? bleeding?

NewAccount2013

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
LeRoy
Hi everyone,

I noticed that my bully puppy was acting strangely today. He is a little over 4 months old and he has been biting and chewing at everything and everyone in a way that is uncharacteristic for him. I gave him a new toy to play with. It is a white stuffed toy. He has been playing with it for a couple of hours now and I just noticed that it has little red blood stains on it. It looks like he is bleeding from the mouth. I tried peering in his mouth and didn't see any cuts or anything unusual.

Can anyone confirm if a 4 month old puppy would be teething and if minor bleeding is normal at this stage or is this something that I should take him to vet to get it looked at. What can I do to help him with the discomfort or pain? I'm so worried about my little man. He seems normal in every other respect (eating and playing as usual).

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Our boy is 4 months and he just lost two more of his bottom front teeth and he bled. Take a hand towel and wet it under the faucet, wring it out so its damp and not dripping water. fold it into quarters then roll it up tight, like a swiss roll. Place in the freezer until frozen (less than an hour). Once its frozen remove and give it to him to chew on. It works great to soothe their mouth :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Make two "swiss rolls" at a time, they thaw fast, then you will have one for later. No aspirin, tylenol, etc. Your babies are growing up how exciting!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes -- all sounds normal. I tagged a few members that can give more insight with puppy teeth

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My puppy is also 4 months and recently started losing his baby teeth. I've also noticed blood on his toys and he's back to gnawing like crazy.
The "swiss roll' is a great idea. Just keep things he can chew on around, preferably cold to numb his gums a bit.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Hi! Sounds normal to me, when Ike was teething his front teeth and canines, he did bleed some. What got me was when his Pre-Molars where loose, they had 1 big "root" in his gum, and as he chewed and gnawed it loose it would actually cut him he had blood in his mouth and since he where where playing, I had blood on my shirt. I took it out a little later that night when he calmed down. It was totally loose just hanging on by that last piece. so puppy owners watch for that one

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said it is normal. If you give him the frozen paper towels, just hold them and watch so he will not swallow the towel.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
When Tubby was starting to lose teeth I would come home to blood stained toys. Which was fine by me just went I got to go toy shopping to replace all the stained ones.

I would also watch out for ones he's lost. We have beige carpet so his little teeth would blend in. I slept on one once and yelped in pain!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Completely normal. This is right about the age where they'll start loosing their baby teeth and the canines will be coming in over the next couple of months. I remember taking Jack and Wilson when they were around 4 months old to Petssmart for a puppy play group and Jack (he's nearly all white) was playing with a husky who lost a tooth. Poor Jack looked like he's been a blood bath. We had to wipe him down at the store.

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I also freeze apple slices and green beans and give them as treats. They normally go pretty quick so I am going to freeze a few wash clothes and see how that works for her.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
along the same lines as the 'swiss rolls' a rope toy soaked in water or beef broth (low sodium of course) and frozen is a nice chewy treat, they last a bit longer because of the braiding :) good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.