Help Needed! Diarrhea and overprotective?

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble has diarrhea and kept us awake all last night because of it. He had to go out at least every two hours and would whine in between. It was at the point this morning that it was almost pure liquid. We gave him about a spoonful of pumpkin around 4 AM and by the time I left for work at 8 AM he had had 1 more really bad episode of diarrhea and then his poop was more formed but still really soft. I called his vet aboout it and told them that I am almost 100% sure that it is because Rumble always tries to make a dash for the puddles to drink them when we have rain(we have gotten 3+ inches in 2 days so our backyard is flooded with little ponds). The last time we had rain like this Rumble also got diarrhea. The vet said that we can give him immodium if we really thinks he needs it but they do not recommend it. They said we could bring him in for a prescription but that if it is just some bacteria from the rain water that it will likely start to get better in a day or two. I am extremely worried about my little man and hate seeing him not feeling well. :cry:At the same time, I do not want to be the overprotective person who always has their dog at the vet. So I have a couple questions regarding what to do and opinions.

First, would you give your dog immodium or not? The vet said she does not like it and if she will not take it then neither will her dogs. This is how I feel about it but my husband will take immodium or pepto bismol any and everytime he has an upset stomach.

Second, is it worth taking Rumble into the vet to get a prescription or should I wait it out? If I wait it out, when should I be concerned that he still has it?

Third, in the meantime, how much pumpkin and yogurt can I give him to help with the diarrhea? He has had both yogurt and pumpkin before and they do not seem to bother his system but I am unsure as to how much I should give him.

Thank you so much in advance for the help and opinions! I came into work today but am going to try and leave early to check on him. I feel so bad with him not feeling well and being all alone. I have being alone when I am sick.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi Sorry Rumble is feeling bad. When Fergus had his explosive poop episode. We did get him tested for giardia, worms ect... He ended up with just a tummy virus. Vet had us give him 8cc of immodium twice a day for 2 days. prescription of antibiotic Albon and Metronidazole. We live near a lake with lots of rabbits and ducks unfortunatly Fergus thinks their dropping are yummy :excited:. Also put him on a simple diet of beef and rice and 1 table spoon of lowfat plain yogurt until his :poo: was solid. He was all better in 4 days now his poop is nice and solid. Good Luck and hope Rumble feels better soon.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
If it was my dog and it didn't have any vomiting or fever and is taking in fluids I would probably wait on the vet. Like Ashley said ground beef and rice diet. If the diarrhea has blood in it or is black or tar colored go to the vet. Let us know how Rumble is feeling.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rumble has diarrhea and kept us awake all last night because of it. He had to go out at least every two hours and would whine in between. It was at the point this morning that it was almost pure liquid. We gave him about a spoonful of pumpkin around 4 AM and by the time I left for work at 8 AM he had had 1 more really bad episode of diarrhea and then his poop was more formed but still really soft. I called his vet aboout it and told them that I am almost 100% sure that it is because Rumble always tries to make a dash for the puddles to drink them when we have rain(we have gotten 3+ inches in 2 days so our backyard is flooded with little ponds). The last time we had rain like this Rumble also got diarrhea. The vet said that we can give him immodium if we really thinks he needs it but they do not recommend it. They said we could bring him in for a prescription but that if it is just some bacteria from the rain water that it will likely start to get better in a day or two. I am extremely worried about my little man and hate seeing him not feeling well. :cry:At the same time, I do not want to be the overprotective person who always has their dog at the vet. So I have a couple questions regarding what to do and opinions.

First, would you give your dog immodium or not? The vet said she does not like it and if she will not take it then neither will her dogs. This is how I feel about it but my husband will take immodium or pepto bismol any and everytime he has an upset stomach.

Second, is it worth taking Rumble into the vet to get a prescription or should I wait it out? If I wait it out, when should I be concerned that he still has it?

Third, in the meantime, how much pumpkin and yogurt can I give him to help with the diarrhea? He has had both yogurt and pumpkin before and they do not seem to bother his system but I am unsure as to how much I should give him.

Thank you so much in advance for the help and opinions! I came into work today but am going to try and leave early to check on him. I feel so bad with him not feeling well and being all alone. I have being alone when I am sick.

You can use the pill form of immodium - I used it for banks and Nitscke... just one pill, I think it is 1 millagram

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online