General Question Bordettela Vaccine today..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi everyone-

Blue's getting the Bordettela vaccine this afternoon.
He's going to be 4 months tomorrow, still a puppy, and while he's getting the shot as opposed to the nasal spray, I'm still worried after reading everything here.

What are the chances he'll have a reaction? Any specific symptoms I should be looking for?
Also, my vet said he'll need a booster in two weeks. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions. First time Bully mama here so I'm a little paranoid :*(.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
mine never needed a booster in 2 weeks, just the yearly one but they also had the nasal spray too and not the shot and never had a reaction.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for answering, Kim. Good to know they didn't have a reaction.

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
I got my girl at nine months and she got the nasal dose when I went to the first vet (at that time I didn't know there was a choice or that the shot was preferred). That vet said she needed a booster in two weeks. I had an ear issue and took her to another vet a week later(I'm still Vet shopping) who told me that she didn't need the booster because she was older. He mentioned a time frame, but I can't remember if he said older than six weeks or six months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone-

Blue's getting the Bordettela vaccine this afternoon.
He's going to be 4 months tomorrow, still a puppy, and while he's getting the shot as opposed to the nasal spray, I'm still worried after reading everything here.

What are the chances he'll have a reaction? Any specific symptoms I should be looking for?
Also, my vet said he'll need a booster in two weeks. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions. First time Bully mama here so I'm a little paranoid :*(.

it is normal for the booster.... a little runny nose is also normal

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks guys. Doesn't sound like anything terrible.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have never had problems with the shot before, so you shouldn't have any problems, plus don't remember ever having to do a booster.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He just got the shot.
Thanks everyone for responding. You guys helped calm me down.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So how did little Blue do? I bet he was a real trooper!

The little porker didn't even know he got a shot.
My vet uses Earths Best Organic Baby food as a deterrent. Blues face was planted in the baby food jar the tech was holding, while the vet gave him the shot. He loves the stuff, had no idea what was happening.. :rofl:

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I was told and read that don't give the nasal bordatella until 4 months and it could actually give them a case of bordatella but some vets disagree. My baby had the shot first and then the booster ( nasal) recently. I hear the shot is ineffective and only the nasal is effective..

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION] My Vet said the only difference between the two is the nasal goes into effect faster. So if I needed to board Blue like right now, the shot would of been pointless.

Last edited:

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I don't know but one breeder I was checking out before I bought Buddy had mentioned this and then a breeder over in Land of Lakes who even shows her dogs and is a member of the BCA told me HER vet said the injection for Bordatella is useless, ineffective and wait until a puppy is at least 4 months old before giving him the nasal but you know I was scared and my first vet was just about to give my puppy the nasal ( he was young) and I stopped her because that first breeder even had it on his website ( forgot who it was- I was shopping ebd breeders) said if the puppys have the nasal before 4 months they will be in intensive care and you might be looking at a 5 day vet stay at $1500.00 you know there is so much info and mis-info going on when it comes to ebd's My first vet told me DON"T believe everything you read on the internet but to be honest I rather believe people here that have had serval ebds than a vet who makes a living off of sick animals and of course the people who own them and love them

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Winston has this every six months or so. Only one time did he have a reaction to it; he coughed for a day and then he was fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.