General Question Otis - what do I do, I am at a loss!

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I agree with Dave. You may want to have Otis checked for Lyme disease. Its actually not so far fetched to think it may be Lyme disease. Our mastiff Molly started having problems with limping and lameness in her front shoulder. Fortunately, our vet suggested we treat her for Lyme disease when the x-rays showed nothing because she tested Lyme positive.

Most all dogs in our area end up testing positive for Lyme at one point in their lives because Lyme is prevalent in this area. Just because they test positive does not mean they have the disease though (our old girl Emma (RIP) was Lyme positive for 12 years never showing any clinical signs of the disease), but if they start showing symptoms, treatment with antibiotics is the rule out this way. Molly was two years old when she started showing clinical signs and it came on fast. She woke up lame one day and went down hill from there with her limping getting worse with each passing week. She started sleeping a lot more too. Not wanted to play like she used to. Once treatment was started, she began feeling better and stopped limping after only three days on the Doxycycline, but we kept her on it for four weeks. She has had a complete recovery because she was treated in the early stages.

Please don't rule out Lyme, especially if the x-rays are not showing anything. If not treated early Lyme disease can lead to long term joint destruction/arthritis. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis on what is ailing Otis and that he have a complete and speedy recovery.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Only thing I can suggest for now is looking into insurance for him. I think it would be way cheaper at this point.
Other than that, :hug:to you guys. Hoping he's feeling better soon.

The only problem here is that it has been diagnosed and they dont cover for pre exsisting ailments - well thats how my insurance works as Ftse had his cherry eye diagnosed before joining they wouldnt cover it and do not cover eanything for his eyes or ears as he had been to the vet about a suspected ear infection before I joined this was because I kept putting of joining silly me shold have joined as soon as I gt him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since they've ruled out anything that can be surgically fixed if it were me, I would go back there and get a copy of the latest xrays and blood work then take them to a holistic vet for a couple of chiropractic sessions. Maybe some acupuncture or water therapy?

Also, I can speak from personal experience here, sometimes those injections take a day or 2 to work. Poor Otis :(

And 105.00 to LOOK at some xrays!??!?? Talk about robbery!

Agreed ^^^ I would also ask about laser therapy.... Banks has fused vertebra and this really helps her a lot. we see a difference if we are late or miss a session

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Poor little guy! I know that sometimes the injections take time to work (on humans--that's my experience as a nurse in orthopedics). I sure hope this works for him. :pray2:

Members online

No members online now.