Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Otis - what do I do, I am at a loss!

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Otis - what do I do, I am at a loss!

I am not sure if this is an option or not but when I was doing rescue for Great Danes I had enormous vet bills on a few of them; well I checked with a local university (medical school) were students studies veterinary medicine (the professors are all usually vets) and I was able to get many of them veterinary care by students studying for to be vets. I had some extremely good care for a fraction of the costs that a local vet would charge. It was students going to services under the supervision of their professors; I had anything from surgeries to annual shots and they took really good care of my foster fur babies. Again, not sure if this is even available in your location but its a thought. Good luck!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnA View Post
    Thank you Carol, I really needed a hug right now. How's Cami doing, I'm thrilled to the moon and back for you.
    Oh Lynn...just wish I could be there in person & give you LOTS of hugs!

Cami is doing great, has really settled right in (right in to my heart, lol).

She's peeing on my bed but not in the floor and hadn't pooed in the
    house so I'm not sure if she's marking or just lazy. We'll figure it out.

How's Otis today? It infuriates me for you to spend that money and he's
    undxed and still the same...Grrrrrr! Just prayed for y'all for answers and
    will until this gets solved...hang in there, Hun

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
    Likes (Received)

Have you had him checked for Lyme disease? I know this might be far fetched and it usually effects the rear legs from what I've read but Giuseppe started limping and after many x-rays and different noninflammatory meds, they blamed it on the breed and his weight. A few months later we had him tested for Lyme disease in preparation for the vaccine and his titer it was off the charts. He had mostly rear leg limping but occasionally it effected is front right. He got the antibiotic series and was better in a couple of weeks. It's a possibility.

Real Name
    Annie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Dave. You may want to have Otis checked for Lyme disease. Its actually not so far fetched to think it may be Lyme disease. Our mastiff Molly started having problems with limping and lameness in her front shoulder. Fortunately, our vet suggested we treat her for Lyme disease when the x-rays showed nothing because she tested Lyme positive.

Most all dogs in our area end up testing positive for Lyme at one point in their lives because Lyme is prevalent in this area. Just because they test positive does not mean they have the disease though (our old girl Emma (RIP) was Lyme positive for 12 years never showing any clinical signs of the disease), but if they start showing symptoms, treatment with antibiotics is the rule out this way. Molly was two years old when she started showing clinical signs and it came on fast. She woke up lame one day and went down hill from there with her limping getting worse with each passing week. She started sleeping a lot more too. Not wanted to play like she used to. Once treatment was started, she began feeling better and stopped limping after only three days on the Doxycycline, but we kept her on it for four weeks. She has had a complete recovery because she was treated in the early stages.

Please don't rule out Lyme, especially if the x-rays are not showing anything. If not treated early Lyme disease can lead to long term joint destruction/arthritis. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis on what is ailing Otis and that he have a complete and speedy recovery.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Only thing I can suggest for now is looking into insurance for him. I think it would be way cheaper at this point.
    Other than that, to you guys. Hoping he's feeling better soon.
    The only problem here is that it has been diagnosed and they dont cover for pre exsisting ailments - well thats how my insurance works as Ftse had his cherry eye diagnosed before joining they wouldnt cover it and do not cover eanything for his eyes or ears as he had been to the vet about a suspected ear infection before I joined this was because I kept putting of joining silly me shold have joined as soon as I gt him.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Since they've ruled out anything that can be surgically fixed if it were me, I would go back there and get a copy of the latest xrays and blood work then take them to a holistic vet for a couple of chiropractic sessions. Maybe some acupuncture or water therapy?

Also, I can speak from personal experience here, sometimes those injections take a day or 2 to work. Poor Otis

And 105.00 to LOOK at some xrays!??!?? Talk about robbery!

Agreed ^^^ I would also ask about laser therapy.... Banks has fused vertebra and this really helps her a lot. we see a difference if we are late or miss a session
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Poor little guy! I know that sometimes the injections take time to work (on humans--that's my experience as a nurse in orthopedics). I sure hope this works for him.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads