Help Needed! Yeast infection tail pocket

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy has been trying to scratch her butt and thats when I noticed that her tail pocket got a minor yeast infection. I took her to the vet and put some oinment in there but what can I do at home to continue the treatment? What can I use to make sure she is fully healed?

(BTW I feel bad because I spent a full week watching her trying to bite her back legs thinking she was being silly until it occurred to me that she was trying to scratch her behind!!!)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wipe it out every couple of days and a dab of Desitin when needed. Run your finger all up in there with the wipe and dry real good and then Desitin, some folks use Gold Bond Powder

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great, have all that at home. Will perform a full cleaning session when I get home today!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awww poor girl. Don't be too hard on yourself, I've thought the same thing a few times with Wilson. I've used Gold Bond Powder before for Wilson's feet, works great.

Here is a wonderful article you can read too about tail pockets and yeast. Be sure to watch the last video. It's about 10 minutes long but one of the best I've seen so far on dealing with yeast issues.

The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

There's also a video on How to Keep the Tail Pocket cleaned about mid way down.

OP
Izzy's Mom

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
thanks!!!!!! :) I have seen that video before but I wasnt sure if the treatment for when a yeast infection is detected is the same as the regular maintenance cleaning routine.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My vet recommended using hydrogen peroxide because it has a drying agent (he said NO wipes) in place of powder corn starch. I also use Desitin if it bothers him.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I use peroxide each day. One of my bullies has a very tight tail ball, but so far never had any type of infection. I LOVE peroxide. Can use it for ears, tear stains, paws, face. Great and inexpensive. With my 4 bullies, inexpensive and it works, is a godsend.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.