Nasal allergy--need input - Zyrtec?

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
My Emma is 45 lbs. Healthy, beautiful coat, not skin itch, only in the head congestion. Major sneezes, runny noise, red eyes. She is on raw food diet, and everytime something is in the air, she gets very congested. We live in San Antonio Texas, this is allergy city here.
I will not do steriods, Benedryl makes her sleepy, but does not really help, Clartin did not help, I was wondering about Zyrtec? I was on line reading about it, and was concerned about effecting immune system, but with raw meats, veg, fish, etc, I thought that would protect her.
I do think that part of her congestion is that she also has a very small trachae, with effects her breathing.
Help Help.
Pamela

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Nasel allergy--need imput

There are a few members that use Zyrtec for their Bulldog's allergies.... hopefully they will be along soon to give you some input

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We give Mabel Zyrtec and have had pretty good results. We started her on 1/2 a tab but have upped her dose to a full tab. So far, so good!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I tried Zyrtec for Bo and it didn't work very well. Benedryl works best for him. He's allergic to grass. LOL I know. Insane. But he feels sooooo much better outside when his eyes aren't watering and his tummy isn't covered in little hives.

OP
P

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Emma is 45lbs- what would the proper dosage be?

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I use Zyrtec with my Bully he is 53 pounds and I give him 1 tab daily. They are 10 mg tabs. They are scored so you could give a half to see how she tolerates it. I tried Benedryl with him and he was allergic to the pink dye and broke out in hives....lol the opposite of what it is suppose to do! My vet gave orders for 10 mg Claritan once daily or Zyrtec 10-20 mg once daily to twice daily. Make sure that the one that you get does not have a decongestant. At the time that this order was given he weighed 48 pounds.

Last edited:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
HI there. our dermatologist put Duke on Zrtec and it works well. He is 53 pounds and we give him two tablets once a day ( every 24 hours ) the vet told us specifically that for dogs it is twice the human dosage. Good Luck! gotta love allergies! :evil:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.