Help Needed! Quite the Scare - reverse sneezing

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
First of all, thank you god for this forum!

I've discovered that Remi is having reverse sneezing episodes. We haven't seen it before until Spring just hit, and Remi is going on 9 months old. I'm so relieved it's nothing out of the ordinary. His little nose is runny a clear discharge and I'm sure it's allergy related.

What concerns is that it's also getting more and more frequent. It starts when he's sleeping, though he has done it once or twice while awake. Tonight, it actually woke him up and he was having an attack awake. This scared the total :poo: out of me and I remembered reading about it on the forums and stood him up and scratched his throat and blew in his face and it stopped almost immediately. I also gave him some lemon water because I wasn't sure if there was some mucus blocking his airway.

I just love you guys so much right now for empowering me with this info. It only encourages me to continue to read as much as possible so I can react when my Remi ever experiences the things that can plague a bulldog.

My question is this: It's getting more frequent, several times a night. When should I be concerned? Should I be looking into giving Remi Benedryl on a daily basis? I guess I should call my Vet! I'm just wondering, when is too much? Could it be the sign of a larger issue as well?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Layla seems to be doing the same thing...quite frequent reverse sneezing. I am starting to wonder when it is too much as well!
I am going to be watching this thread, I wonder if she needs some allergy meds too?

:confused:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] when Remi is having these spells, you can also pinch his nose causing him to swallow, that will cause him to clear his throat. He may be allergic to something in the house too, perfume, cleaners, detergents or even smoke. It can be nasal drip also, you really have a good handle on it though. It does scare the crap out of you though, especially if you are in a dead sleep. :eek:

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness, 1 year old, did this as well right around the time he turned 1. We had also just gotten back from a ski trip and he had spent some time w my husbands family so they thought it was just "bulldog" noises ;) he continued it for just a few days maybe one or two and we did the same things you are doing as well as just placing our fingers over his nose. He was a little snotty as well and it seemed like he might have a little doggy cold. All was well in a day or two.....hope this is the same for you because it is scary and like you I came straight here for info :2thumbs:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great work Momma!! banks gets two Benedryl a day all spring and fall -- summer is as needed. It does help keep it in check, but she is allergic to so much airbourne stuff

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well as you know it is normal and doesn't hurt anything, just sounds scary. I will just cover their nares with my fingers and it stops it. No need for the lemon juice as usually they don't have a lot of phlegm built up from it like they do when they are hot.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.