Giardia?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So we are possibly taking on a 9 week old pup that is being treated for giardia. Does anybody have firsthand experience with giardia and keeping other dogs from contracting it? I would assume she is no longer contagious after a certain peroid of being on an antibiotic?

Thanks for any answers in advance

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have to keep all other dogs away from the poo... it is in the poo and you will need to clean the area after picking up the poo - spray bleach or something to ensure it does not spread. Banks had it a couple of times and that is what our vet told us to do.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When one of my bulldogs got it from an Rv park we had to treat both of them to be sure it did not just bounce back and forth between the two. It was hard enough to get rid of with only one having it but this was also about 7 years ago, hope they have better medicine than they did back then!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My almost one year old ebd puppy has hat it twice ( or we never completley got rid of it there first time ) This new vet told me that my puppy tested positive for it and she gave me a 3 day supply of panacur to put in his food ( powder packs by weight of dog) and I do have to have him retested next week.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey had it at 7 weeks ( at the breeder) we took him home at 8 weeks after his stool the day before tested negative. They treated him with an antibiotic. I had the stool tested a week later because of diarrhea, and it was negative( turned out to be food issues). Seemed very easy to get rid of. '

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How long has he been having treatment?

If his treatment is coming to an end you should be ok. But to be safe make sure your other pets and YOU do not come into contact with his poop for a week or so. It is highly contagious and humans can catch it! It has an incubation period of approx 10 days!!! Sadly I know this as I caught it from Daddy the day we brought him home.

Most Reactions

Members online