Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enzo bleeding from penis

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
    Likes (Received)

Default Enzo bleeding from penis

We just got home from a quick trip out and let Enzo and Apollo out of their little pen and Enzo jumped up to greet me and I noticed blood all over my pants and the floor. I laid him down to check him out and saw it was coming from his penis. It was still sticking out a little and the tip looks all bulbous but the bleeding looks to have already subsided. They hump each other on occasion and sometimes bite each other down there. I'm thinking that might be what happened. I called the vet real quick because they close at 2p today and talked to a vet tech. She said not to worry, her male dog had something similar happen minus the swelling. The swelling is what concerns me. It looks like a blood blister about the size of a pencil eraser on the tip of his penis encircling the urethra.
    He doesn't seem to be in pain, he urinated ok with no blood in the urine and then he let me clean it without flinching. The bleeding seems to have stopped completely now.
    Has anybody seen anything like this before? Could it be something other than an injury?

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Enzo bleeding from penis

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a prolapse urethra to me. I would let your vet look at him soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Davidh - Damn, I googled it and that's exactly what it looks like. Do you think it's safe to wait until regular office hours? Do you have an idea of why it would have started bleeding? It says the only way to fix it is surgery. If it is ok to wait, I will just make an appointment to have it looked at/fixed and have the both of them neutered too. They are 8 months now.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

@giuseppe since the bleeding has stopped, you can wait for your regular vet. Just try to keep him from playing too rough.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much @Davidh ! It doesn't look any better but it doesn't look worse. I have made a few trips to the emergency vet in the past and I would really prefer waiting until he can see his own vet. I will be sure to keep them calm until then. Thanks again!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Sure hope he does well

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Im late to this! Brutus had a prolapsed urethra at 8 months...It was very scary for me since I didnt know what it was and I didnt know about this forum at the time! We had to have an emergency surgery the day after b/c he was bleeding a lot! We also had him nuetuered at the same time to avoid relapse! Well a week after surgery he prolapsed again and we optd out of the additional surgery b/c he wasnt bleeding again! It was a very invasive surgery and the healing time was about 2-3 weeks for him! Others that had the surgery it was less complicated! THe surgery cost us about 3200 and luckily we had care credit to use without paying in full!!! Let me know if you need anything else!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Remy had the same thing at 8 months!!! Wonder what it is about that age? He had the surgery and was neutered at the same time and no problems since. Hope it works out well for both of your boys
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Rural mystic @ChanelnBrutus @kim n the guys Thanks for the well wishes and all the info! I am sorry your guys had to go through that. It hasn't started bleeding again yet but I am keeping an eye on it. It does look like it's gotten a little worse as far as swelling. I am just hoping to make it to Monday now, or possibly Tuesday because I believe that is my vets surgery day.

I am really worried about the procedure being so invasive and the healing time. I don't know how I will keep the two of them from playing rough. They go through a couple 30 minutes sessions each day where they chase each other all over the house and while they listen pretty good for bulldogs it's nearly impossible to get them to stop playing once they start.

EBN is so awesome. I would have just listened to the vet tech and thought it was no big deal. It's not her fault, I didn't describe it to her like I did on here. I'm still freaking out about this but at least now I know what it is and how it needs to be dealt with.

I never heard of prolapsed urethra until now. If anybody else decides to google it, be sure to google "prolapsed urethra in dogs". The pictures that come up with just prolapsed urethra were a shocker to say the least.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@giuseppe, Finn had a prolapsed urethra as well and when he got neutered, the prolapse went away. Fortunately, he didn't have to go thru the prolapse surgery b/c in his case, the neutering fixed the problem. Your vet will of course be able to advise you on this when you see him. Good luck! I know it's scary to see all that blood but it is a fairly "common" issue and can be resolved.

Real Name
    Sean
    Bulldog(s) Names
    kimbo
    Likes (Received)

this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
    also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
    my bully is my life!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads