Enzo bleeding from penis

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We went back and forth over getting the neutering done at the same time and only having him put under once. We, my wife and I, decided to wait a few months to get them neutered. I personally believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I know there is a huge debate over when is best to have a dog fixed. Just from what I've read and how it coincides with the effects we witnessed with our first bully, Giuseppe, we are set on waiting now.

What happened was, I wanted to hold off and told my wife so many times. She wanted to get them neutered asap so they would calm down a little with the rough-housing. My belief is this 100% the wrong reason to do it. When I made the appointment for Enzo to have his prolapse repaired I decided to just go ahead with the neutering too, for both of them. When I told her I made the appointment she said "oh, so you're just going to make that decision without me?" :wtf: So I called and cancelled because I didn't want it yet to begin with. We sat down and read about it together and agreed that doing it now wasn't what we wanted to do.

Not having him netuered with the prolapse surgery may cause the prolapse to return after surgery! The reason he prolapsed is bc of the blood flow and the testerone. Its your decison to make but Im not sure why you would want to put him through 2 surgeries.... Is your vet familiar with the prolapse in bulldogs?

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
Well, he's been dropped off now. I asked to talk to the vet before the surgery. It's a busy day for him so after a 30 minute wait we talked quickly but in detail about what was to be done. I know I am not going to be 100% accurate on this but basically what he said is he tucks the prolapse back in and adds a couple temporary stitches, then there are 2 permanent nylon stitches added to keep it from prolapsing again. He said he's done the surgery countless times and acted as though it wasn't that big of a deal. I asked him about recurrence and why it happened in the first place. He said it's not likely to be an issue because it already looks like he is healing so he appears to be a quick healer but it will never completely correct itself, surgery is definitely necessary. He said it happens because dogs his age are rubbing it against things constantly and he probably damaged the tip and it prolapses from there. I told him I was going to hold off on the neutering and he didn't even attempt to change my mind so I prodded a little hoping he would try to sway me one way or the other. He said that "a lot of people are waiting to have their bullies neutered now. There have been some studies that suggest it's better for them" and he left it at that. So I asked him straight out if he would be more like to have the prolapse again and he said no, it won't effect it one way or the other.

The front desk lady told me that he has people driving 700+ miles to have him perform this and other surgeries. He had someone drive up from Kentucky just last week to correct a bone issue with their bulldog. She said he is very good and he is also more reasonable with the cost, which prompted me to ask, "ummm, can you give me a ballpark figure what this is going to cost?". After a little calculator work she said it will be approximately 400-600 with all the blood tests, the surgery itself, etc.. I hate to put a dollar sign on my pups but I had to ask. There were 6 other bulldogs, a poodle and a corgi in the waiting room. I am feeling a little better now. They are going to call me when he gets out of surgery then again when it's time to come get him.

Apollo and Enzo have never been apart. Apollo is the alpha and Enzo kind of follows his lead. As soon as I took Enzo out to the car without him Apollo started whining pretty loudly. I think he was a little jealous that his brother was getting more attention. Enzo was digging it. He jumped right up in the car (since it was just him I put a blanket on the front seat and let him sit up front with me) and laid down and just enjoyed the ride. When I take them both to the vet it's usually a big ordeal getting them up the steps and in the front door. Enzo just bounced up the steps waited for me to open the door and was very social once we got inside. When I got home Apollo ran to me and has been following me around everywhere I go. They kind of flipped roles as soon as they were separated. My little tough guy is a big softy and my little shy guy is all outgoing. :) :)

Last edited:
OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
Enzo is doing great. His penis is a little stubbier now but other than that there is no sign he even had surgery yesterday. It's going to be a task getting his brother to understand no roughhousing. For anyone interested the total cost was less than $500. That included a heartworm test and complete blood work-up.

Weirdest thing happened when I was calling to check his status yesterday at about 2:30p. They told me he was out of surgery and doing well resting and that he would be ready for pickup after 5p. Then they told me my wife just called to check his status too. My wife was with me and said she never called. It freaked me out. It could be they were confused or it could be I need to start watching how much info I post on the internet.

Bruisers dad

Jul 15, 2014
Prescott AZ.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
I just read the rest of your posts Dave . Thank you for all the info you put on this forum. It has been a lot of help. I have a feeling I will be on here a lot

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.