Enzo bleeding from penis

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
i know what you mean, and i am doing everything i can to get the money to help him....today when i let him outside to do his business, he started bleeding again!!!

i do not want him to be in pain...
this happened before and my vet gave me some medicine that i am supposed to put on his penis, so i been doing that, but he is still bleeding....

If he is your life, you have to find some way to raise the money. Bulldogs are notoriously expensive pooches to own because of the quirky illnesses they are prone to and, a lot of times, the special diets they need. Please don't think I'm lecturing. I got my first bulldog without knowing much about them at all. I ended up taking on additional work so I could afford to care for him.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
I screwed up. I called to make an appointment to have Enzo's prolapse looked at and repaired and they asked if I fed him. I did so they won't do it today. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I should have known better.
It looks a little better today so we should be ok until tomorrow, appointment at 8:30a. I am getting both Enzo and Apollo neutered also. I don't know why I am so nervous about this. She made it sound like no big deal, that the vet has done many of them. I asked how long for recovery, because they are still puppies and active, she said he will be good right after the surgery.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
my bully is my life!!

It isnt something that can wait b/c it can get worse and a severe infection could develop. Also if he is bleeing he could lose too much blood! I didnt have the funds at the time but we were able to get a Care Credit Card to cover the expenses! If he isnt bleeing but has a red ball at the tip of the penis its a prolapse! It is something that needs to be taken care of asap!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I screwed up. I called to make an appointment to have Enzo's prolapse looked at and repaired and they asked if I fed him. I did so they won't do it today. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I should have known better.
It looks a little better today so we should be ok until tomorrow, appointment at 8:30a. I am getting both Enzo and Apollo neutered also. I don't know why I am so nervous about this. She made it sound like no big deal, that the vet has done many of them. I asked how long for recovery, because they are still puppies and active, she said he will be good right after the surgery.

I would try to keep the pup with the prolapse quiet for about a week to avoid relapse!Brutus prolapsed 1 week after surgeery b/c I felt bad and let him and Chanel play for a little!! It wasnt worth it b/c now the red ball is back and he has to have his wee wee cleaned everyday and the vet has to check it every 3 mnths to ensure therer isnt an infection in the urethra!

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try to keep the pup with the prolapse quiet for about a week to avoid relapse!Brutus prolapsed 1 week after surgeery b/c I felt bad and let him and Chanel play for a little!! It wasnt worth it b/c now the red ball is back and he has to have his wee wee cleaned everyday and the vet has to check it every 3 mnths to ensure therer isnt an infection in the urethra!

Will do! I'm pretty sure the person I talked to was the girl at the front desk and I don't believe she is a clinical person. She was just trying to ease my mind, I think.

Since I last posted, things have changed a little. My wife and I decided to hold off a little with the neutering for both of them. We came across some info that says it may be better for them to not get it done at this point. Now Enzo is going in for the surgery on Thursday to fix the prolapse. This way it will be his regular vet, who has a lot more experience with this surgery and bulldogs. If I bring him tomorrow another vet would likely perform the surgery.

I'm so sorry Brutus and you have to go through that. Did your vet say it came back because of exertion? Will you ever be able to have it fixed more permanently?

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names

Will do! I'm pretty sure the person I talked to was the girl at the front desk and I don't believe she is a clinical person. She was just trying to ease my mind, I think.

Since I last posted, things have changed a little. My wife and I decided to hold off a little with the neutering for both of them. We came across some info that says it may be better for them to not get it done at this point. Now Enzo is going in for the surgery on Thursday to fix the prolapse. This way it will be his regular vet, who has a lot more experience with this surgery and bulldogs. If I bring him tomorrow another vet would likely perform the surgery.

I'm so sorry Brutus and you have to go through that. Did your vet say it came back because of exertion? Will you ever be able to have it fixed more permanently?

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

I would have the prolapse and nuetuer done at the same time...It avoids having additional surgeries and it will help prevent the relapse...We could have another surgery but it will be much more invasive and since it isnt causing him trouble I dont want to put him through that again :( He goes to the vet about every 1-2 months to have it checked along with nails and anals lol

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree with [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]--best to get both procedures done at the same time. Neutering will help decrease the chances of the prolapse recurring as well as minimizing anesthesia exposure.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
We went back and forth over getting the neutering done at the same time and only having him put under once. We, my wife and I, decided to wait a few months to get them neutered. I personally believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I know there is a huge debate over when is best to have a dog fixed. Just from what I've read and how it coincides with the effects we witnessed with our first bully, Giuseppe, we are set on waiting now.

What happened was, I wanted to hold off and told my wife so many times. She wanted to get them neutered asap so they would calm down a little with the rough-housing. My belief is this 100% the wrong reason to do it. When I made the appointment for Enzo to have his prolapse repaired I decided to just go ahead with the neutering too, for both of them. When I told her I made the appointment she said "oh, so you're just going to make that decision without me?" :wtf: So I called and cancelled because I didn't want it yet to begin with. We sat down and read about it together and agreed that doing it now wasn't what we wanted to do.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8191]giuseppe[/MENTION], that's absolutely your call, of course! Aside from the anesthesia, I was also looking from the perspective of the prolapse urethra and my understanding that this occurs more in a non-neutered dog. But, you need to do what you, your wife, and the vet thinks is best and safest for Enzo. I wish Enzo the best during tomorrow's surgery. I'll be thinking of you guys and know he will do just fine!

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
@giuseppe, that's absolutely your call, of course! Aside from the anesthesia, I was also looking from the perspective of the prolapse urethra and my understanding that this occurs more in a non-neutered dog. But, you need to do what you, your wife, and the vet thinks is best and safest for Enzo. I wish Enzo the best during tomorrow's surgery. I'll be thinking of you guys and know he will do just fine!

Thanks! :) I will post here as soon as I find out how things went.

It bothers me the way surgery appointments are done with pets. I just drop him off in the AM and leave. They will perform the surgery and call me when it's time to come get him. It's too detached for me. I know the concern is because of the sudden way we lost our Giuseppe. It just sticks in my head how rough that was and gets me all worried. I know that had a major impact on our decision with neutering too. I just hope it's the right decision.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks! :) I will post here as soon as I find out how things went.

It bothers me the way surgery appointments are done with pets. I just drop him off in the AM and leave. They will perform the surgery and call me when it's time to come get him. It's too detached for me. I know the concern is because of the sudden way we lost our Giuseppe. It just sticks in my head how rough that was and gets me all worried. I know that had a major impact on our decision with neutering too. I just hope it's the right decision.

I agree, I'm saddened for your loss of Giuseppe. I lost Brutus after dental surgery 2 months
ago so I understand your fears & concerns. I usually leave my males intact and have never
had any problems but w/males or females, we try to wait until full maturity to do so.

Will pray for Enzo's safe surgery and for y'all.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] !

I didn't realize that was how you lost Brutus. I am so sorry, that must have been a tremendous shock. I can't even imagine... Have you posted pictures of Cami yet? I need to do a little looking around. :)

I am a little nervous tonight but I have confidence in the vet. I know things can still go wrong but Enzo is still a little boy. I think he will do fine.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks @Texas Carol !

I didn't realize that was how you lost Brutus. I am so sorry, that must have been a tremendous shock. I can't even imagine... Have you posted pictures of Cami yet? I need to do a little looking around. :)

I am a little nervous tonight but I have confidence in the vet. I know things can still go wrong but Enzo is still a little boy. I think he will do fine.

Thank you, Dave for your kind thoughts, losing Brutus was so brutal, it will
take me a long time to recover, I miss him so much! He is buried in my side
yard on a hill under a beautiful big tree.
I too, think Enzo will be just fine.
:2thumbs:

Cami has been w/me a week as of this evening and no pics yet (this week has been
a killer) but hoping to post them by this wkend or sooner. She is wonderful and her
personality is a lot like BruBru's...very loving, so sweet, mellow and a cuddler.
:smoochwink:Keep us posted on dear Enzo, keeping y'all in prayers, dear friend.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Well wishes for Enzo's surgery tomorrow, keep us posted how he is.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.