Enzo bleeding from penis

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
We just got home from a quick trip out and let Enzo and Apollo out of their little pen and Enzo jumped up to greet me and I noticed blood all over my pants and the floor. I laid him down to check him out and saw it was coming from his penis. It was still sticking out a little and the tip looks all bulbous but the bleeding looks to have already subsided. They hump each other on occasion and sometimes bite each other down there. I'm thinking that might be what happened. I called the vet real quick because they close at 2p today and talked to a vet tech. She said not to worry, her male dog had something similar happen minus the swelling. The swelling is what concerns me. It looks like a blood blister about the size of a pencil eraser on the tip of his penis encircling the urethra.
He doesn't seem to be in pain, he urinated ok with no blood in the urine and then he let me clean it without flinching. The bleeding seems to have stopped completely now.
Has anybody seen anything like this before? Could it be something other than an injury?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a prolapse urethra to me. I would let your vet look at him soon.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - Damn, I googled it and that's exactly what it looks like. Do you think it's safe to wait until regular office hours? Do you have an idea of why it would have started bleeding? It says the only way to fix it is surgery. If it is ok to wait, I will just make an appointment to have it looked at/fixed and have the both of them neutered too. They are 8 months now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8191]giuseppe[/MENTION] since the bleeding has stopped, you can wait for your regular vet. Just try to keep him from playing too rough.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] ! It doesn't look any better but it doesn't look worse. I have made a few trips to the emergency vet in the past and I would really prefer waiting until he can see his own vet. I will be sure to keep them calm until then. Thanks again!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Sorry Im late to this! Brutus had a prolapsed urethra at 8 months...It was very scary for me since I didnt know what it was and I didnt know about this forum at the time! We had to have an emergency surgery the day after b/c he was bleeding a lot! We also had him nuetuered at the same time to avoid relapse! Well a week after surgery he prolapsed again and we optd out of the additional surgery b/c he wasnt bleeding again! It was a very invasive surgery and the healing time was about 2-3 weeks for him! Others that had the surgery it was less complicated! THe surgery cost us about 3200 and luckily we had care credit to use without paying in full!!! Let me know if you need anything else!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Remy had the same thing at 8 months!!! Wonder what it is about that age? :hmm: He had the surgery and was neutered at the same time and no problems since. Hope it works out well for both of your boys

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] [MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION] Thanks for the well wishes and all the info! I am sorry your guys had to go through that. It hasn't started bleeding again yet but I am keeping an eye on it. It does look like it's gotten a little worse as far as swelling. I am just hoping to make it to Monday now, or possibly Tuesday because I believe that is my vets surgery day.

I am really worried about the procedure being so invasive and the healing time. I don't know how I will keep the two of them from playing rough. They go through a couple 30 minutes sessions each day where they chase each other all over the house and while they listen pretty good for bulldogs it's nearly impossible to get them to stop playing once they start.

EBN is so awesome. I would have just listened to the vet tech and thought it was no big deal. It's not her fault, I didn't describe it to her like I did on here. I'm still freaking out about this but at least now I know what it is and how it needs to be dealt with.

I never heard of prolapsed urethra until now. If anybody else decides to google it, be sure to google "prolapsed urethra in dogs". The pictures that come up with just prolapsed urethra were a shocker to say the least.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8191]giuseppe[/MENTION], Finn had a prolapsed urethra as well and when he got neutered, the prolapse went away. Fortunately, he didn't have to go thru the prolapse surgery b/c in his case, the neutering fixed the problem. Your vet will of course be able to advise you on this when you see him. Good luck! I know it's scary to see all that blood but it is a fairly "common" issue and can be resolved.

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
my bully is my life!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I had never heard of this before either, now I am aware of it thanks to this forum.

I hope all goes well with both your bullies.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
@giuseppe, Finn had a prolapsed urethra as well and when he got neutered, the prolapse went away. Fortunately, he didn't have to go thru the prolapse surgery b/c in his case, the neutering fixed the problem. Your vet will of course be able to advise you on this when you see him. Good luck! I know it's scary to see all that blood but it is a fairly "common" issue and can be resolved.

Thanks! I hope that's the case with Enzo but I think it might need surgery to fix it. It looks like he bled a little while he was sleeping and the swelling is a little worse too. At least I think it is. It definitely hasn't gotten better.

I am just hoping I can hold off for his regular vet. We had some bad experiences with the emergency hospital. They just don't seem to care as much. We brought Giuseppe in when he was sick and they said they had him in their icu on oxygen. We asked to see him and they allowed us to go back after 10 minutes of prep time. When we went in back they had him in his own little bed with an oxygen tube laying by his nose. My wife is a nurse and she whispered in my ear "it's not even on". It was all for show. Every other dog was in a crate and I'm positive G was too before we asked to see him. The "ICU" was just a kennel with a couple vet techs.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
my bully is my life!!

If he is your life, you have to find some way to raise the money. Bulldogs are notoriously expensive pooches to own because of the quirky illnesses they are prone to and, a lot of times, the special diets they need. Please don't think I'm lecturing. I got my first bulldog without knowing much about them at all. I ended up taking on additional work so I could afford to care for him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.