Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Enzo bleeding from penis

I had never heard of this before either, now I am aware of it thanks to this forum.

I hope all goes well with both your bullies.

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @giuseppe, Finn had a prolapsed urethra as well and when he got neutered, the prolapse went away. Fortunately, he didn't have to go thru the prolapse surgery b/c in his case, the neutering fixed the problem. Your vet will of course be able to advise you on this when you see him. Good luck! I know it's scary to see all that blood but it is a fairly "common" issue and can be resolved.
    Thanks! I hope that's the case with Enzo but I think it might need surgery to fix it. It looks like he bled a little while he was sleeping and the swelling is a little worse too. At least I think it is. It definitely hasn't gotten better.

I am just hoping I can hold off for his regular vet. We had some bad experiences with the emergency hospital. They just don't seem to care as much. We brought Giuseppe in when he was sick and they said they had him in their icu on oxygen. We asked to see him and they allowed us to go back after 10 minutes of prep time. When we went in back they had him in his own little bed with an oxygen tube laying by his nose. My wife is a nurse and she whispered in my ear "it's not even on". It was all for show. Every other dog was in a crate and I'm positive G was too before we asked to see him. The "ICU" was just a kennel with a couple vet techs.

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by seanjiujitsu View Post
    this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
    also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
    my bully is my life!!
    If he is your life, you have to find some way to raise the money. Bulldogs are notoriously expensive pooches to own because of the quirky illnesses they are prone to and, a lot of times, the special diets they need. Please don't think I'm lecturing. I got my first bulldog without knowing much about them at all. I ended up taking on additional work so I could afford to care for him.

Real Name
    Sean
    Bulldog(s) Names
    kimbo
    Likes (Received)

i know what you mean, and i am doing everything i can to get the money to help him....today when i let him outside to do his business, he started bleeding again!!!

i do not want him to be in pain...
    this happened before and my vet gave me some medicine that i am supposed to put on his penis, so i been doing that, but he is still bleeding....

Quote Originally Posted by giuseppe View Post
    If he is your life, you have to find some way to raise the money. Bulldogs are notoriously expensive pooches to own because of the quirky illnesses they are prone to and, a lot of times, the special diets they need. Please don't think I'm lecturing. I got my first bulldog without knowing much about them at all. I ended up taking on additional work so I could afford to care for him.

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I screwed up. I called to make an appointment to have Enzo's prolapse looked at and repaired and they asked if I fed him. I did so they won't do it today. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I should have known better.
    It looks a little better today so we should be ok until tomorrow, appointment at 8:30a. I am getting both Enzo and Apollo neutered also. I don't know why I am so nervous about this. She made it sound like no big deal, that the vet has done many of them. I asked how long for recovery, because they are still puppies and active, she said he will be good right after the surgery.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by seanjiujitsu View Post
    this info really helped me out, and i believe my english bulldog has a prolapsed urethra....my problem is...

i cant afford a surgery if he needs one (i am a college student with no job, barely getting by)
    also if he does need one, can i wait or will it harm him?
    my bully is my life!!
    It isnt something that can wait b/c it can get worse and a severe infection could develop. Also if he is bleeing he could lose too much blood! I didnt have the funds at the time but we were able to get a Care Credit Card to cover the expenses! If he isnt bleeing but has a red ball at the tip of the penis its a prolapse! It is something that needs to be taken care of asap!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I screwed up. I called to make an appointment to have Enzo's prolapse looked at and repaired and they asked if I fed him. I did so they won't do it today. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I should have known better.
    It looks a little better today so we should be ok until tomorrow, appointment at 8:30a. I am getting both Enzo and Apollo neutered also. I don't know why I am so nervous about this. She made it sound like no big deal, that the vet has done many of them. I asked how long for recovery, because they are still puppies and active, she said he will be good right after the surgery.

I would try to keep the pup with the prolapse quiet for about a week to avoid relapse!Brutus prolapsed 1 week after surgeery b/c I felt bad and let him and Chanel play for a little!! It wasnt worth it b/c now the red ball is back and he has to have his wee wee cleaned everyday and the vet has to check it every 3 mnths to ensure therer isnt an infection in the urethra!

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    I would try to keep the pup with the prolapse quiet for about a week to avoid relapse!Brutus prolapsed 1 week after surgeery b/c I felt bad and let him and Chanel play for a little!! It wasnt worth it b/c now the red ball is back and he has to have his wee wee cleaned everyday and the vet has to check it every 3 mnths to ensure therer isnt an infection in the urethra!
    Will do! I'm pretty sure the person I talked to was the girl at the front desk and I don't believe she is a clinical person. She was just trying to ease my mind, I think.

Since I last posted, things have changed a little. My wife and I decided to hold off a little with the neutering for both of them. We came across some info that says it may be better for them to not get it done at this point. Now Enzo is going in for the surgery on Thursday to fix the prolapse. This way it will be his regular vet, who has a lot more experience with this surgery and bulldogs. If I bring him tomorrow another vet would likely perform the surgery.

I'm so sorry Brutus and you have to go through that. Did your vet say it came back because of exertion? Will you ever be able to have it fixed more permanently?

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    Will do! I'm pretty sure the person I talked to was the girl at the front desk and I don't believe she is a clinical person. She was just trying to ease my mind, I think.

Since I last posted, things have changed a little. My wife and I decided to hold off a little with the neutering for both of them. We came across some info that says it may be better for them to not get it done at this point. Now Enzo is going in for the surgery on Thursday to fix the prolapse. This way it will be his regular vet, who has a lot more experience with this surgery and bulldogs. If I bring him tomorrow another vet would likely perform the surgery.

I'm so sorry Brutus and you have to go through that. Did your vet say it came back because of exertion? Will you ever be able to have it fixed more permanently?
    Last edited by giuseppe; 04-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I would have the prolapse and nuetuer done at the same time...It avoids having additional surgeries and it will help prevent the relapse...We could have another surgery but it will be much more invasive and since it isnt causing him trouble I dont want to put him through that again He goes to the vet about every 1-2 months to have it checked along with nails and anals lol

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with @ChanelnBrutus--best to get both procedures done at the same time. Neutering will help decrease the chances of the prolapse recurring as well as minimizing anesthesia exposure.

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We went back and forth over getting the neutering done at the same time and only having him put under once. We, my wife and I, decided to wait a few months to get them neutered. I personally believe the benefits outweigh the risks. I know there is a huge debate over when is best to have a dog fixed. Just from what I've read and how it coincides with the effects we witnessed with our first bully, Giuseppe, we are set on waiting now.

What happened was, I wanted to hold off and told my wife so many times. She wanted to get them neutered asap so they would calm down a little with the rough-housing. My belief is this 100% the wrong reason to do it. When I made the appointment for Enzo to have his prolapse repaired I decided to just go ahead with the neutering too, for both of them. When I told her I made the appointment she said "oh, so you're just going to make that decision without me?" So I called and cancelled because I didn't want it yet to begin with. We sat down and read about it together and agreed that doing it now wasn't what we wanted to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads