Help Needed! Roscoe's Yeast and Allergies!!

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2 year old English Bulldog who has started to again battle the yeast/ allergy problems as the weather is changing here in Upstate New York. His ears are yeasty as well as his paws from itching them and licking his paws. He also has started to get little red/scaly patches on his back where the hair is falling out again. Before the Vet that we brought him too gave us a shampoo that didn't really work. I have been bathing him with tea tree shampoo and antibacterial shampoo a few times a week and cleaning his paws meticulously. He is also on ear drops. I see that some use apple cider vinegar. Has anyone had allergy testing done? Any suggestions that I can try or does anyone know of any Vets in the syracuse/ upstate region I am willing to drive. Thanks in advance!:)

20121109_200836.jpg

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Im using acv with his water everyday but Major still get the yeast but not bad. I'm schedule for a allergy blood work soon. bc I'm tired of switching foods and I am running out of food brands to switched it too lol..
what food are you feeding?

OP
Katieloo27

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Im using acv with his water everyday but Major still get the yeast but not bad. I'm schedule for a allergy blood work soon. bc I'm tired of switching foods and I am running out of food brands to switched it too lol..
what food are you feeding?

We are having the same problem! He was on Fromm after we got him as a puppy and we found that he was sensitive to chicken..... what a surprise! haha. We switched him to a few others in the Fromm family as well with no help with the yeast. He is now on Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient- Turkey and he was doing fine all winter until Spring started just like last year. The vet even had us try to feed him rice and Turkey for a while which worked that is why we picked the 1 protein as Turkey. I think I am going to start him with the ACV and do the rinses after bathing him. Then I would like to get the allergy testing to see if we can pinpoint anything. He is also starting to take Zyrtec as well.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sounds like you are trying the things you should. and yes Vinegar rinse is a very good thing. Lots of peeps have had allergy testing. It runs about $600 in my area of PA
Are his ears crusty? that would be yeast. The red scaly area's on his back sound like something else, perhaps hot spots or staph, or dermatitis That would mean the immune system is compromised, weakened. A good enzyme, probiotic's would help to boost the immune system. even yogurt once a day will help.

Hope you find a cause and cure for Boscoe, please keep me posted.

OP
Katieloo27

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Sounds like you are trying the things you should. and yes Vinegar rinse is a very good thing. Lots of peeps have had allergy testing. It runs about $600 in my area of PA
Are his ears crusty? that would be yeast. The red scaly area's on his back sound like something else, perhaps hot spots or staph, or dermatitis That would mean the immune system is compromised, weakened. A good enzyme, probiotic's would help to boost the immune system. even yogurt once a day will help.

Hope you find a cause and cure for Boscoe, please keep me posted.

Thank you. I am going to start trying the ACV. Yes his ears are a yeast problem that started last year he has maintenance drops weekly and drops for ear infections that work very well along with cleaning them daily along with his tail, feet, and face :-). I believe that the yeast may have turned into a little bit of a bacterial infection on his skin. Thank you for your reply I am going to start him on the probiotics as well! I will try all of this and update soon! :pray2:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yep I see...... I'm almost certain it's his immunity weakened and this is something that is common in the bully's . Lots of them have terrible skin issues. building up the immunity is huge and it's sounds like you have a handle on the things to try. Hope everything works out for your fella. Keep me posted. The vinegar will surely help! it's amazing what a rinse will do, it even repels fleas, soothes and refreshes.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
You have to be careful. Antibacterial shampoo may aggravate the problem because it will cut down on the normal bacterial flora on his skin that will keep the yeast in check. Also, make sure you are using a shampoo that is formulated for dogs instead of people shampoo. The pH is different. There are good anti-fungal shampoos available that I would look into. We use KetoChlor from our vet. Don't bathe him too often or you will dry out his skin and remove the protective oils, which will make him more prone to infection by yeast and bacteria. Good luck! I have quickly learned how hard this is to control.

OP
Katieloo27

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Thank you everyone! I will keep you updated on his progress! I appreciate your help. He is already starting to look better already.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Katieloo27,

My pup has the exact same seasonal allergy issues, I've just started noticing that his ears are much "goopier" now than they have been in the past few months, I'm going as far as having some drastic landscaping done to get rid of some trees that he reacts to every time he gets around them (Russian Olives). I am going to go back to the ACV in his water and see if that helps. I currently have him on benadryl tablets from Costco but if someone here has any other advice on benadryl vs other allergy meds, I would greatly appreciate it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! I will keep you updated on his progress! I appreciate your help. He is already starting to look better already.

Great --- please do keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.