Help Needed! Seasonal Allergy?? Treatment??

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
Spring has hit in our area... We know for sure Bindie is very allergic to grass (poor thing, cause she loves laying in it). We try very hard to keep her sunbathing OFF the grass, especially this time of year because it makes her belly break out in hives. I notice the other day her whoo-whoo (technical term for vagina) was red and swollen and rashy. I took a unscented wipe and cleaned it. But it hasn't gotten much better, and I'm not sure what is a good treatment for this... We are assumming when she goes out to pee and squats on the grass it touching her parts and giving her a reaction :(

Can we give her Claritin to help with her current outdoor allergies??

Is there a non-drowsey dog antihistamine? (I know a lot of people use Benadryl but I don't want her to be sleepy all the time)

Is there a cream I should be using??

I've also noticed her eyes have been red and watery...

We recently switched her food to grain free/potato free for yeast issues. California Natural - Kangaroo and Red lentil... her symptoms don't seem to be her normal food allergy reactions (face acne, yeasty rolls). I'm convinced it's outdoor allergies causing the problem, because she is more rashy than yeasty (only areas affected are feet, belly, whoo-whoo, and red eyes)

Any help, suggestions, or advise would be greatly welcomed on how to home treat seasonal allergies

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well most people use Benadryl and some people use Zyrtec, but I have never tried it. A T-shire will help some it the grass, plus wiping he feet and other problem area's every time she comes in from out side will help. There will be others along soon, who have more experience with allergies than I do.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
My boy is extremely allergic to 3 different kinds of grass (had skin scraping allergy testing done) and he reacts exactly the same,with hives all over his belly and itchy red eyes. I have to try very hard to keep him off the grass and he is always on an antihistamine 2x a day. I have used Claritin and currently use hydroxyzine which is vet prescribed. It does help a lot with itchiness.

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
I've read of a lot of people using Zyrtec with success... Does anyone know the dosage??

Both my boyfriend and I take it for our allergies, so I have a huge bottle of the Costco brand of it already :)

For the people that use Zyrtec does it cause dryness in your bulldog? (I get very dry when I take it)
Should we give her a fish oil supplement with it?? (and recommendations on dosage for that as well)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my vet said 1/2 pill in the am and 1/2 pill in the pm and sarah weighs 47 pounds. i have heard of some giving 1 am 1 pm. you could try some hydrocortisone cream on the rashy areas. they also make shoes for dogs that maybe something to think about. ive known people who used shirts also with their dogs to help with the grass allergies. you could try some desitin on the belly and hoo hoo area before going out to help block some of it maybe.

Katieloo27

Jul 10, 2011
Northern New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I have my Bully on Zyrtec right now. I started him again as Spring has hit here and his allergies came back with vengeance! I also wipe him down after he has been outside and i'm going to start apple cider vinegar rinses as well. If her paws get really itches I also found that gold bond powder helps a lot. Hope that this helps.

frankie

Mar 14, 2013
San Clemente, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Hi! I was told to use 50mg ( 2 tablets of 25mg each) of Benadryl. Also, to wipe the bottom of their paws, esp. with a grass allergy of vinegar and water mix. Make it in a bottle and use a paper bowl each time they come in. Plus, pesticides and motor oils etc will come off as well. But one really cool thing is at Pets plus ( I live in california hope you have one in your area) has a kit for $50 and you take a swab of their cheek and some hair samples mail it into the company and they will give you a full panel of what your baby is allergic to. Food,environmental , everything!!!! Hope this helps, I am a new bully baby owner and exploring EVERYTHING out there!!

OP
BindieBoo

BindieBoo

Jan 16, 2013
Castaic, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bindie
Hi! I was told to use 50mg ( 2 tablets of 25mg each) of Benadryl. Also, to wipe the bottom of their paws, esp. with a grass allergy of vinegar and water mix. Make it in a bottle and use a paper bowl each time they come in. Plus, pesticides and motor oils etc will come off as well. But one really cool thing is at Pets plus ( I live in california hope you have one in your area) has a kit for $50 and you take a swab of their cheek and some hair samples mail it into the company and they will give you a full panel of what your baby is allergic to. Food,environmental , everything!!!! Hope this helps, I am a new bully baby owner and exploring EVERYTHING out there!!

Oh great thank you!! We are in California too, but I don't know of any Pets plus around us (we are in southern California)... But I will look online for the allergy kit and see what I can come up with :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Our vet recommended chlorpheniramine for the maltese and the bulldog. I only give it to the bulldog when he needs it and only the amount that seems to help which is less than the vet recommended. Neither the maltese nor the bulldog seem to be very drowsy on it at the dosages we are using. I also wipe his belly, thighs and sometimes feet down with a damp cloth when he comes in from outside if he seems pinker than usual

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.