Help Needed! Demodectic Mange..anybody dealt with this on puppy?

lorisbay

Mar 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo
I'm new to your forum and have come here in hopes someone knows what this prognosis is. Our "Cleo" is only 5 months old and these red areas started on the top of her head. She has a few on each of her sides, but mainly on the top of her head. We took her to a vet (our old vet just retired and I'm not sure about this new one) and she said it was demodectic mange and wants to treat her with Ivermectin (which worries me). Everything I've read online says she should be itcy, which she's not. Is there a homopathec cure for this? This vet wants to spay her right away! Of course we won't even think of breeding her in the future if this is heredity, but is it??? Anyone know??? Thanks for any help this forum can give

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm new to your forum and have come here in hopes someone knows what this prognosis is. Our "Cleo" is only 5 months old and these red areas started on the top of her head. She has a few on each of her sides, but mainly on the top of her head. We took her to a vet (our old vet just retired and I'm not sure about this new one) and she said it was demodectic mange and wants to treat her with Ivermectin (which worries me). Everything I've read online says she should be itcy, which she's not. Is there a homopathec cure for this? This vet wants to spay her right away! Of course we won't even think of breeding her in the future if this is heredity, but is it??? Anyone know??? Thanks for any help this forum can give

:smileywelcome: to the site, sorry mites had to bring you here, but glad your here. I copied some things you can use to help clear up the mange.

[h=2]Prolate/Lintox -- HD Dip[/h]
  • Dips are a non-invasive treatment option, and there are several that offer good results. Since the mites that cause demodectic mange live in the hair follicle, the pet owner should clip the dog's fur in problem areas before dipping. This maximizes the amount of treatment reaching the mites. An effective dip is Prolate /Lintox--HD, which as of 2010 can be found online and at most farm supply stores for about $20 per 32 oz. Dip the dog in a diluted solution of 1 oz. dip mixed with 1 gal. water. Keep the solution away from the dog's head. Use a cloth soaked in dip to carefully wipe around the dog's eyes and ears. The dog should be dipped three times a week for two to three weeks.

[h=2]Nu-Stock Ointment[/h]
  • Purchase Nu-Stock from the manufacturer's website or at select pet and farm supply stores. It can be used for a wide array of animal skin disorders, including demodectic mange. The product is made of natural ingredients and contains pine oil, mineral oil and sulfur. Apply the ointment once every three days to the affected areas, until the mange clears. In 2010, the price of two 12 oz. tubes was $28.50, which is a fraction of most veterinary costs to cure this type of mange.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no experience with mange but if you search there is lots of topics. Great job [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] on the alternatives.

How old is your pup? I certainly would not spay her if she's too young. No sense in putting her through surgery until she is at least 4/5 months old in case there are other genetic issues that crop up that can be corrected.

Also did your vet do a skin scraping to find the mites?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
L

lorisbay

Mar 28, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo
Cleo is 5 months old and I'm not in a rush to spay her. I will if I have to, but I'm going to seek another opinion as I haven't been real comfortable with this vet to begin with. I'm going to try Sherry's remedy also before I use the ivermectin the vet sent us home with. Thanks for the information and I'll let you know if the dip and ointment work.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Make sure you are feeding her a good food that will help build her immune system. There are great recommendations on this site. Healthy skin and a properly functioning immune system are a good defense against this and a lot of other things that I'm learning about on this forum.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

I currently am going through this with my dog, vet did skin scrape to determine - we are on day 26 of the Ivermectin treatment. The spot is still there and the only time I see him itch it is when it gets very dry so I keep aloe or hydrocortisone on it. I was told it is hereditary and he will always have it, just maybe not flared up like it is. Thankyfully we only have one spot on his shoulder about the size of a nickle.

The hard part about that medication is getting it in them - ours is a liquid that we give with a syringe and the medicane itself from what the vet said is horrific tasting. I'll be glad when the 30 days is up. I will update what they say once we have completed the treatment. I did want to go with the meidcation for fear anything else would not kill the mites and it can spread like wildfire and potential of losing all his hair.

Good luck, let me know which route you decide to go.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
We went through this with our Winston, when he was about the same age as your pup is now.

The vet did a scraping and we found the mites. The mites are passed from the mother to her pups at birth and as they nurse, the mites are commonly found on all dogs. The problem is when the dog's immune system is overworked or stressed, the mites take hold and create those horrible patches on our babies. Given time, they'll take over his whole body. Of course we never let that happen to our babies.

Winston took the Ivermectin treatment, but in addition we bathed him frequently with a mix of Borax and hydrogen peroxide. I don't remember the exact portioning of it, my husband did the majority of his baths because of my work routine at the time. Our vet also recommended neutering Winston. Onset of Puberty is one of the most stressful things a body goes through and our bullies are no different. We had him neutered, and while I don't regret it one little bit I do sometimes wonder if he would have filled out a little more through his head and chest if we had waited. His health is far more important to me than his beauty; besides he's still all bulldog and adorably cute in the eyes of his Mommy.

I wish you luck. Demodectic mange is a pain in the tail regardless of how you handle it. It takes time to vanquish those little mites and usually it takes a combination of baths, dips and internal medicine to do it. Listen to your vet, do your research, listen to those of us here who have dealt with it, and then finally listen to your heart because you are the only one who can take care of your bulldoggy. :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The hard part about that medication is getting it in them - ours is a liquid that we give with a syringe and the medicane itself from what the vet said is horrific tasting.

I had a foster who needed nasty tasting liquid medicine. I either filled a pill pocket with the stuff and pinched off the top to close it or squirted it on small piece of toast with jelly. She loved it.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I had a foster who needed nasty tasting liquid medicine. I either filled a pill pocket with the stuff and pinched off the top to close it or squirted it on small piece of toast with jelly. She loved it.

What a great idea, thank you!

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My puppy has this at about 6 months ( 2 small areas on his forehead and we did 3 dips at $75.00 a dip and it went away ) Thank God, my vet at the time wanted to do more but I have since found a better vet and I have read that all dogs have SOME of these mites but that after a year or so the dog's immune system with be matured enough to fight them.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko was diagnosed with it (without scrapings) at around 5 months old. The spots were small an didn't bother him. I had read that some people give that expensive medicine for months and it takes at least half a year to clear and some have done nothing and it goes away by it self in about six months....We desided to try the second route. It took less to clear cause we switched Usko to raw food at seven months.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.