Help Needed! Diagnosed with Ectopic Ureter

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
We just had our vet appointment for Nate and his ultrasound done. The vet believes that Nate possibly has Ectopic Ureter. We have scheduled an appointment with a surgeon at NorthStar Vets for next week in the hopes of getting some final answers and prognosis. Anyone have any experience with Northstar? Our vet feels that surgery will be required. Wanting to know if any of our bully friends have had this surgery performed and what was the outcome, recovery, etc. If Nate needs the surgery we plan on having him neutered at the same time (good idea?). Keep our little boy in your prayers and any advice or info would be appreciated, as I am so nervous for him. He is still on meds for UTI infection, as well as Proin and both seem to help with the leaking, but at this point we just knew there was more to the leaking going on.

L

Lucy-licious

Aww bless...it sounds like you may have answers at last. An ectopic ureter would definitely explain the constant dribbling. I hope if he does have surgery it is successful. I would definitely ask about having him neutered at the same time. :hug:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have no experience, just stopped in to wish you well and pray your fella has a great future with no issues. Sounds like he's in great hands :doctor:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We'll be think about you guys. That's a diagnosis with which I have no experience--even though I'm preparing a lecture about the urinary system right now! Please let us know what you find out. Keeping you all in our prayers!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this, just wanted to say we are thinking of him and hoping the surgery goes well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Prayers and positive thoughts for a successful procedure.... and i would also do the neutering done at the same time

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thanks for all the well wishes. Keep him in your prayers. Was hoping that there was someone out there with some information on their experience. We have our appointment Thursday morning will keep you posted. The most I research the web the more nervous I get.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Someone will have had this experience here....they've just not seen your post yet. Within our esteemed membership, I don't think there's a single issue that's not affected SOMEONE --- and valuable experience is at hand!

Having complete confidence in your veterinarian is paramount.

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thanks for the encouragement. We are heading to North Star Hospital Thursday to meet with a surgeon. Hope he answers all our questions and we can get the surgery scheduled and behind us. We are hoping they will neuter at the same time. I believe that once the surgeon is done that Nate will be totally house trained. Other than the leaking, which I believe he doesn't even realize is happening, he goes outside. At 5 1/2 months he otherwise is doing great and has been the most wonderful dog ever.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for the encouragement. We are heading to North Star Hospital Thursday to meet with a surgeon. Hope he answers all our questions and we can get the surgery scheduled and behind us. We are hoping they will neuter at the same time. I believe that once the surgeon is done that Nate will be totally house trained. Other than the leaking, which I believe he doesn't even realize is happening, he goes outside. At 5 1/2 months he otherwise is doing great and has been the most wonderful dog ever.

​Continuing to keep your beloved Nate & y'all in my prayers...GOD bless!

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
We met with our surgeon today and found that we will need to have a CT Scan and another ultrasound done on Nate. After they perform the tests, he will then have surgery the next day with a three day hospital say. The cost was a lot greater than anticipated ($5,000) and we contacted the breeder who is willing to contribute $1,000. He offered to reimburse us the purchase price of the Nate, but wanted Nate back (not an option)!!! We are attempting to scheduling the tests next week and surgery on Wednesday. The doctor indicated that he wasn't not completely convinced that it is Ectopic Ureter, as it is very uncommon in bulldogs and males. He said the CT Scan will give an accurate diagnosis, but is confident that he could surgically repair the problem. He is also going to neuter him at the same time, which is great news, that Nate will not have to undergo any further surgery after this nightmare. Please pray for a successful operation and a speedy recovery for our little guy.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Prayers and good wishes sent your way for Nate and for you. Please keep us posted on his progress.

If you go to Facebook, Bulldogs with Special Needs, Files they have great suggestions on how to control the leakage until the problem is solved so your house doesn't develop a funky smell.

Best wishes

OP
Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Dec 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nate
Thanks for the suggestion. He is scheduled for Tuesday for tests and Wednesday for surgery, so hopefully things will be corrected.

Most Reactions