Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Puppy with the poops

No allergies to grain yet I just had to switch Lola to grain free and was trying to keep them on the same food but thats not going to work!

Last edited by Lucy-licious; 03-30-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I must weigh in on this issue. Bogey has has "poopy problems" since day one! We started on Fromms large breed puppy, stools went soft serve and then downhill from there. We switched to Fromm beef Fritatta. Did ok until we got to 3/4 cup, then soft serve, runny. First poop of the day was nice and formed, it loosened as the day went on. I tried backing off, and the poops did not firm up. So, we transitioned to Purevita bison all stages. Again, he did great until we got to 3/4 cup 3 x day( he is only 5 months old). Although on the Purevita his stools were formed, he was pooping 7-9 times a day- huge amounts! But, I was willing to put up with that. Then all of a sudden, soft serve started! No changes in diet, nothing new. It was getting worse! So, back to boiled rice and hamburger for a week. Almost immediately the stools firmed up! I re- challenged the Purevita TWICE and as soon as he got more than 1/4 cup- soft serve, frequent stools. I was tearing my hair out! We had his stools tested- completely normal!! So I put him back on bland for 6 days. Beautiful formed SMALL stools, only TWICE a day! Decided to go with a limited ingredient food, so I picked natures variety instinct lamb. He has been on it 2 weeks- he gets 1/2 cup twice a day with homemade ( boiled rice and lean hamburger) about 1/4-1/3 cup as a topper. Occasionally I will substitute the burger with an egg. He gets 1 TBSP ACV once a day, ans I have cut out the noon meal- but I do give him. A little snack of cottage cheese or yogurt. He is doing WONDERFUL!! 2 SOLID AND SMALL poops a day! I think the lesson here is trial and error. What works for one bully may not work for another. Whatever the changes, do them SLOWLY! Good luck!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late post! Took Lucy to the vet this morning and she is negative for worms and parasites! They did say her weight was in the normal range now but they felt like I was over feeding her and that she would do better on a puppy formula so I picked up some merrick puppy but @desertskybulldogs brought to my attention it isn't very high in fat so I think I will take it back and try the earthborn puppy because it is at 20% fat. Lucy started the bland diet today for lunch and dinner I did brown rice and chicken, so far so good! She still has soft poop but not water so hopefully even a bigger change tomorrow. I think I will keep her on that for a few days and then slowly start adding puppy kibble and see how she does. Glad it was nothing major just a food issue! Looks like my girls will be on different food tell Lucy is older! Oh and my regular vet wasn't there today so I had to see someone else in the office and I was not impressed he suggested I try Iams puppy so I asked him what he had his dog on and he said purina so I think I will stick to the bulldog vet and if he can't be there I will reschedule. Thanks everyone!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom2008 View Post
    Hi everyone! Sorry for the late post! Took Lucy to the vet this morning and she is negative for worms and parasites! They did say her weight was in the normal range now but they felt like I was over feeding her and that she would do better on a puppy formula so I picked up some merrick puppy but @desertskybulldogs brought to my attention it isn't very high in fat so I think I will take it back and try the earthborn puppy because it is at 20% fat. Lucy started the bland diet today for lunch and dinner I did brown rice and chicken, so far so good! She still has soft poop but not water so hopefully even a bigger change tomorrow. I think I will keep her on that for a few days and then slowly start adding puppy kibble and see how she does. Glad it was nothing major just a food issue! Looks like my girls will be on different food tell Lucy is older! Oh and my regular vet wasn't there today so I had to see someone else in the office and I was not impressed he suggested I try Iams puppy so I asked him what he had his dog on and he said purina so I think I will stick to the bulldog vet and if he can't be there I will reschedule. Thanks everyone!
    I think I'd stick to the bulldog vet too! It sounds like you're getting a handle on this problem. So glad it was just a food issue.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

@ChrisRN-me to I was worried maybe she ate to much of her paper litter or something.

This morning she had a little bit more solid than a soft serve poop so the bland diet is doing it's job! It helps that she loves it too!

Real Name
    Robert
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bauer
    Likes (Received)

Did she gets shots? When Bauer got a round of three shots his tummy went crazy!

Robert

Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

She did get shots but she had the poops long before that! She just pooped again a little while ago and I almost took a picture and posted it as I was almost crying I was so happy! Sound stupid but I have been going nuts with her poops and I do have to say she must not have felt well because she would lay around and sleep a lot and today she is running around getting into a lot of trouble so I see a huge difference in her!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads