Help Needed! Puppy with the poops

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My Lucy I have had since the 12th of February and she started out ok poop wise then I took her to the vet and he said she is underweight so I added more food and she has had the poops ever since! I tried cutting back on food then she gets this again so I little by little add more and regardless of how much I am feeding her she has the poops! She also is a pooping machine! The good news is she always makes it to her litter box when she poops so that is a positive note! She is on Earthborn holistic grain free so im not sure what it is. Any ideas?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no idea aside from no wing runny poo can be caused by too much food. :confused: obviously if she is losing weight tho that isn't it. Have you tried any diff food by chance? Can always add canned pumpkin to help with weight and :poo: but would be best to of course figure out the problem.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She isn't loosing weight just when I try to back off the food she looses weight again but I am feeding her a cup three times a day and she looks perfect weight wise but her poop is so bad is sprays all over her litter box! I have a bag of fromm in the house I could try that but she would be going from grain free to the puppy fromm so it has rice and barley Im not sure how well she would do.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh and she see's the vet thursday for her shots so I will ask him then what I need to do but I will not put her on science diet!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Speaking to the vet on Thursday probably sounds good, maybe the food your feeding her is not agreeing with her tummy.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just back off a WEE bit, not by a lot. Also if you are wetting the food down, don't do that. By a wee bit I mean take out just 1/4 of a cup per day. See how the poo is in 48 hours. Even just a tablespoon too much food can give the mushies. Is any of her poo solid? Like the first one of the day?

What is the fat content of the Earthborn compared to the Fromm?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]-Her first poop of the day is solid and by bed time it's pure water!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think earthborn has more fat than Fromm but not sure.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
has this been from the beginning? or just since a food change etc???

My experience with poops is so different than anyone else. I assume the vet has cleared her of a parasite issue. Keep us updated.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She has been tested for worms and parasites and doesn't have either one although she did have worms when I got her but tested negative this last vet visit. She has always been on Earthborn since I got her at 6 weeks but its just been since she went to the vet three weeks ago and he said she needed to gain so I started adding more food and it has been like this ever since and the last week really bad! Today I backed off on her food and so far it is a little softer than soft serve but no pure water like it has been so hopefully this helps! Any one have any idea how to add weight that wont give my girls the poops?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Oh and she see's the vet thursday for her shots so I will ask him then what I need to do but I will not put her on science diet!
Boo! Hiss! Science Diet--yuck! He may want a stool sample so they can test for bacteria or parasites. I don't think increasing the amount of food would cause a problem if the food wasn't a problem before. Good luck and let us know what you find out!:confused:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have to ask ......... why is she on a grain free diet????? Is she already proven to have signs of an allergy to grain?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
No allergies to grain yet I just had to switch Lola to grain free and was trying to keep them on the same food but thats not going to work!

egghunt3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I must weigh in on this issue. Bogey has has "poopy problems" since day one! We started on Fromms large breed puppy, stools went soft serve and then downhill from there. We switched to Fromm beef Fritatta. Did ok until we got to 3/4 cup, then soft serve, runny. First poop of the day was nice and formed, it loosened as the day went on. I tried backing off, and the poops did not firm up. So, we transitioned to Purevita bison all stages. Again, he did great until we got to 3/4 cup 3 x day( he is only 5 months old). Although on the Purevita his stools were formed, he was pooping 7-9 times a day- huge amounts! But, I was willing to put up with that. Then all of a sudden, soft serve started! No changes in diet, nothing new. It was getting worse! So, back to boiled rice and hamburger for a week. Almost immediately the stools firmed up! I re- challenged the Purevita TWICE and as soon as he got more than 1/4 cup- soft serve, frequent stools. I was tearing my hair out! We had his stools tested- completely normal!! So I put him back on bland for 6 days. Beautiful formed SMALL stools, only TWICE a day! Decided to go with a limited ingredient food, so I picked natures variety instinct lamb. He has been on it 2 weeks- he gets 1/2 cup twice a day with homemade ( boiled rice and lean hamburger) about 1/4-1/3 cup as a topper. Occasionally I will substitute the burger with an egg. He gets 1 TBSP ACV once a day, ans I have cut out the noon meal- but I do give him. A little snack of cottage cheese or yogurt. He is doing WONDERFUL!! 2 SOLID AND SMALL poops a day! I think the lesson here is trial and error. What works for one bully may not work for another. Whatever the changes, do them SLOWLY! Good luck!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Hi everyone! Sorry for the late post! Took Lucy to the vet this morning and she is negative for worms and parasites! They did say her weight was in the normal range now but they felt like I was over feeding her and that she would do better on a puppy formula so I picked up some merrick puppy but [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] brought to my attention it isn't very high in fat so I think I will take it back and try the earthborn puppy because it is at 20% fat. Lucy started the bland diet today for lunch and dinner I did brown rice and chicken, so far so good! She still has soft poop but not water so hopefully even a bigger change tomorrow. I think I will keep her on that for a few days and then slowly start adding puppy kibble and see how she does. Glad it was nothing major just a food issue! Looks like my girls will be on different food tell Lucy is older! Oh and my regular vet wasn't there today so I had to see someone else in the office and I was not impressed he suggested I try Iams puppy so I asked him what he had his dog on and he said purina so I think I will stick to the bulldog vet and if he can't be there I will reschedule. Thanks everyone!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.