Help Needed! Help..Seasonal Flank alopecia

MichaellWright

Mar 26, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Priscilla and Ikie
Hello, my little bullie, Priscialla, has been diagnosed with seasonal flank alopecia. Both her flanks have large black spots. Vet scraped for mites and it was neg. Have her on a grain-free diet, and give here fish oil daily. Have given her melatonin, but doesnt seem to work, Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be great. Also, she gets glucosamin, and a cranberry capsule daily. She is eating Costco's Natures Domain Turkey and sweetpotato....it is grain free. Thanks so much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a member who has experience with this.... his Gizmo has it. i think you are doing all you can, but since i have no experience, he may be able to give you a better response.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How much sun does she get? I have also heard its due to lack of sunshine, not sure how true that us though... But it makes sense because so many get it in the winter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
well the good news is this. The bully isnt harmed by the hairloss
the bad news is, it isnt pretty, and you will get lots of questions from people
the good news is, its seasonal, and it CAN get better in the warmer seasons
the bad news is, there is no 'for sure' cure what works with one bully, may not work with another.
the good news is it might just happen for 1 season and never be effected again
the bad news is, it might reoccur each fall and winter.

We used a product called 'The Missing Link' and we thought we were having excellent results....until winter came around again....

here is my flickr pictures of 'Before, during and during' of the Missing link http://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger/sets/72157630159176396/

the odd patch on her butt, is a section that never grew back after surgery. I really should take more pictures of it, because she is better now, but definitely 'not cured' we noticed it more often in Fawn Bullies

OP
M

MichaellWright

Mar 26, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Priscilla and Ikie
Thanks everyone for your feedback. We go to the dog park almost everyday so I think she is getting enough sun. I just hope it will clear up for the summer. She is a rescue, and she had it when I adopted her. I have had her now for 18 months. Could not imagine life without my Priscilla. She has been such a blessing.:)

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
My Sherman has the worse case of alopecia that the bulldog specialty vet had ever seen. From his mid section all the way back to just before his tail. BALD.

He gets this every other year. The year inbetween his big bald (as we call it) he has minor loss.

I make sure that all windows in the room he is in while I am at work have the shades open as is the slider door. Sun streams into that room all day and yet it comes.

I have scleroderma, lichen sclerosis, and granuloma annulare. All skin issues, all autoimmune.

I began trying to help Sherman with what I use for myself as well as a melatonin regimen.

I give him 1 melatonin tablet every meal (2 x a day)
I rub vitamin D cream (mine) into that skin.

I ALWAYS have a shirt on him when he is bald and wake each morning to put sunblock on him.

Sherman's will be filled back in about August and we'll have a good year next year, then he'll be bald the next summer.

Seems very cyclical to me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have also heard it can be caused from not enough sun shine. Don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online