Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best age for getting your Boy bully fixed revisited?

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Best age for getting your Boy bully fixed revisited?

Quote Originally Posted by Fbjdd View Post
    So you don't fix your males at all if they don't need to or shaw behaviour issues?
    I don't fix the dog to correct behavior issues. I correct behavior issues through training.

I only fix the dog to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If I can't guarantee with 100% certainty that my dog will not produce unwanted puppies, I will have to neuter the dog. Also note that most doggie daycare centers/dog parks/kennels/emergency shelters will not take an intact dog.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I don't fix the dog to correct behavior issues. I correct behavior issues through training.

I only fix the dog to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If I can't guarantee with 100% certainty that my dog will not produce unwanted puppies, I will have to neuter the dog. Also note that most doggie daycare centers/dog parks/kennels/emergency shelters will not take an intact dog.
    ok so with your male dogs you not worried about health concerns like testicle cancer?
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fbjdd View Post
    ok so with your male dogs you not worried about health concerns like testicle cancer?
    Yes, I worry. But at the same time, I balance my dog's risks and find that spot where we are comfortable. For me, the risk of my dog dying from testicular cancer is about the same as the risk of him dying on the operating table or from unintended side effects when getting him neutered. The best comparison I can make is the surgical removal of a bulldog's nose rope to prevent infection. Most people will not do this procedure having balanced the risk of infection with the risk of surgery. The risk of infection can be mitigated by proper care.

There are risk mitigation things you can do when deciding not to alter a dog - pick a dog with a pedigree that have very rare incidences of cancer, provide proper nutrition, provide holistic medical care, etc. And on the neutering side - pick a vet with excellent reputation who knows your dog's breed very well, etc.

In the end, altering a dog is an individual decision. But, if your dog ever contributes to the dog shelter population, you know you have failed royally. Also, if your dog is not a good example of its breed and he produces babies (unwanted or otherwise) then it is not good either as it just produces problems for the line. Therefore, if you decide not to alter your dog, you will have to guarantee 100% that your dog will not have unwanted puppies.
    Last edited by anatess; 04-01-2013 at 09:25 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads