adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello,

Winston went to the vet today for his first ear infection. When we were there the vet gave him a once over and noticed that he has three extra teeth...we knew this already. The vet is saying that they should be removed when he has his hernia repair and is neutered. This sounds like a lot to happen in one surgery. Do these teeth need to be removed? I do not want to put my baby through any stress that is not needed. Is this a common thing with bulldogs?
Here's a pic...was hard to get it so its blurry.
IMG_20130325_123753(1).jpg

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
What reason did the vet give for wanting to pull the "extra" teeth? I think you're right in being cautious if the "extras" aren't causing a problem and its a cosmetic thing I wouldn't think they'd need to be pulled.

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
What reason did the vet give for wanting to pull the "extra" teeth? I think you're right in being cautious if the "extras" aren't causing a problem and its a cosmetic thing I wouldn't think they'd need to be pulled.

The vet said that there may be issues with plaque build up in the future or food may get stuck in there. It's about $17.00 a tooth now but if there are issues later one it would costs hundreds apparently. Two of the teeth are super close...they look like one in the picture. I just don't know what is best. I do brush Winston's teeth more than twice a week which would help a bit I would assume.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
My boy is only 8 months and he has the same sorta tooth layout. He has no problems and I won't be planning to get them removed.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364246211.391049.jpg

I don't know if u can see of if its the same, but Tonka has 6 teeth in the middle. Some are inset further because of space. They don't bug him and haven't been an issue. His toofies are pearly white! ...he chews a ton though lol. His vet has never commented on them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is 4 and has extra teeth, one tooth is right in the middle of his palate and has never had problems. Years ago I pointed it out to our vet and the vet said as long as he was eating OK, he would be OK, personally I wouldn't get them pulled or maybe get a second opinion?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has also got extra teeth and they are causing no problems so they are staying.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hogwash! Aren't Bully's supposed to have extra teeth? No way would I remove...and does he suggest braces too? :ohmy: Jake has that same set up..my vet has never ever suggested there's a problem. Ever.

Seriously..does he have Bully experience?
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Hogwash! Aren't Bully's supposed to have extra teeth? No way would I remove...and does he suggest braces too? :ohmy: Jake has that same set up..my vet has never ever suggested there's a problem. Ever.

@Davidh

Well I was wondering that too as when i looked if Ftse mouh it looked the same and my vet has never mentioned it and believe me they have looked in the a number of times I thought it must have just been a Bullies set up we call em shark teeth :confused:

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston

@Davidh

Haha I know!
The vet we saw yesterday isn't our normal vet. I like to see the same vet every time but in this case she was the one that could see us right away and Winston wouldn't leave his ears alone...poor guy. We are going in for a follow up next week and I will be speaking to my vet about it. I will update as I get more info!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... those teeth are so normal for a bully! great picture, BTW....lol

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
So how many teeth is a bulldog suppose to have? I would not even know if Rumble had extra teeth or not!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I asked my vet - who is a Bulldog expert and has Bulldogs about Miss Tallulah's extra teeth and he said unless they cause problems not to do anything.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I think it looks cute!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with the others and since you do brush his teeth, if they are not causing him a problem, I would leave them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.