Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
During Mack's final puppy visit our vet mentioned a new heart worm injection that lasts 6 months? Mack can't get for another 2 months, so I have a while to decide. Any input would be great.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We have this for Ftse, when he was just a tiny puppie we had to give him a tablet until he was old enough to get the injection and he will need to have his second one 6 months time from the first then it after that one it is yearly, I find it much better than giving the monthly tablet. :)

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
It is called ProHeart 6. Here is some info I found on it.

Description

ProHeart 6 (moxidectin) Sustained Release Injectable consists of two separate vials: One vial contains 10% moxidectin sterile microspheres and the second vial contains a specifically formulated sterile vehicle for constitution with the microspheres. No other diluent should be used. A clear or translucent appearance of the vehicle is normal. Each mL of constituted drug product contains 3.4 mg moxidectin, 3.1% glyceryl tristearate, 2.4% hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, 0.87% sodium chloride, 0.17% methylparaben, 0.02% propylparaben and 0.001% butylated hydroxytoluene. Hydrochloric acid is used to adjust pH.
Pharmacology

Moxidectin is a semi-synthetic methoxime derivative of nemadectin which is a fermentation product of Streptomyces cyaneogriseus subspecies noncyanogenus. Moxidectin is a pentacyclic 16-membered lactone macrolide.
Moxidectin has activity resulting in paralysis and death of affected parasites. The stage of the canine heartworm affected at the recommended dose rate of 0.17 mg moxidectin/kg body weight is the tissue larval stage. The larval and adult stages of the canine hookworms, Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala, are susceptible. Following injection with ProHeart 6, peak moxidectin blood levels will be observed approximately 7-14 days after treatment. At the end of the six month dosing interval, residual drug concentrations are negligible. Accordingly, little or no drug accumulation is expected to occur with repeated administrations.
ProHeart 6 Indications

ProHeart 6 is indicated for use in dogs six months of age and older for the prevention of heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
ProHeart 6 is indicated for the treatment of existing larval and adult hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala) infections.
ProHeart 6 Dosage And Administration

Owners Should Be Given The Client Information Sheet For Proheart 6 To Read Before The Drug Is Administered And Should Be Advised To Observe Their Dogs For Potential Drug Toxicity Described In The Sheet.

Frequency Of Treatment

ProHeart 6 prevents infection by D. immitis for six months. It should be administered within one month of the dog’s first exposure to mosquitoes. Follow-up treatments may be given every six months if the dog has continued exposure to mosquitoes and if the dog continues to be healthy without weight loss. When replacing another heartworm preventive product, ProHeart 6 should be given within one month of the last dose of the former medication.

But I don't think I can use it on Matilda because of the Warnings as shown below because of her flea allergy...

Warnings

ProHeart 6 should be administered with caution in dogs with pre-existing allergic disease, including food allergy, atopy, and flea allergy dermatitis. In some cases, anaphylactic reactions have resulted in liver disease and death. Anaphylactic and anaphylactoid reactions should be treated immediately with the same measures used to treat hypersensitivity reactions to vaccines and other injectable products.

- - - Updated - - -

For the rest try googling it. It is a lot of info and I don't want to take up a whole bunch of space.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My opinion only of course... the risk of heartworm meds to me balances out the risk of dying from heartworms. I don't do heartworm meds. Instead I get yearly heartworm check-up with their well-check. My vet argues with me every year about it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.