Help Needed! this is getting to be very frustrating :(

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Well yesterday I had to take Reilly to the vet for a severe bacterial/yeast infection that infested his entire body. I have never seen it so bad before. He is almost 8 years old and it seems like every year it just keeps getting worse. I was almost in tears telling the vet how uncomfortable he has been lately. He gave Reilly 20mg prednisone, a strong antibiotic ($100!!) for 3 weeks, and ketoconazole for the yeast. Been bathing him in Pharmaseb medicated shampoo that I got last time we were there. Day 2 and I can already see he is feeling better. I hate for him to be on medication his whole life but that is the only thing that relieves him from itching and keeping his skin clear. He has gotten an allergy test before and is basically allergic to everything outside. He is on NVI LID lamb just started this week and it seems good so far. Vet doesn't think its food related.

I guess my main question is... what could be causing these infections all the time?
I think his immune system is just really bad.

Could it be diabetes? Vet said if he drinks lots of water and is always hungry it could be a possibility. (he's a bulldog, hard to tell lol)

Vet recommended blood work in 3 weeks to check his liver numbers and for diabetes...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm surprised the vet didn't do the blood work before the antibiotics were in his system. I have my Jack 8 and Griz 2-1/2, and they also have allergy issues , Jack more than Griz and my vet says that each year he get worse, he get staph infections but antibiotics and shampoo's keep him in check. I too hate to see Jack on meds all the time too. He get's his about twice a year.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It can be food related or it can be seasonal. The pollen here is bad and this time of year we have to clean Buddies right ear and his nose rope more than usual. I hope the new food helps, and you bully gets better soon.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I had this problem with my female pug and they reckoned it was when we moved from the coast to town the different grass and each year it got worse she was medicated all the time in the end.
Hope you get to the bottom of what is causing it as it so sad to see them suffer with allergies.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Well yesterday I had to take Reilly to the vet for a severe bacterial/yeast infection that infested his entire body. I have never seen it so bad before. He is almost 8 years old and it seems like every year it just keeps getting worse. I was almost in tears telling the vet how uncomfortable he has been lately. He gave Reilly 20mg prednisone, a strong antibiotic ($100!!) for 3 weeks, and ketoconazole for the yeast. Been bathing him in Pharmaseb medicated shampoo that I got last time we were there. Day 2 and I can already see he is feeling better. I hate for him to be on medication his whole life but that is the only thing that relieves him from itching and keeping his skin clear. He has gotten an allergy test before and is basically allergic to everything outside. He is on NVI LID lamb just started this week and it seems good so far. Vet doesn't think its food related.

I guess my main question is... what could be causing these infections all the time?
I think his immune system is just really bad.

Could it be diabetes? Vet said if he drinks lots of water and is always hungry it could be a possibility. (he's a bulldog, hard to tell lol)

Vet recommended blood work in 3 weeks to check his liver numbers and for diabetes...

I know what you mean about the medications! We've had Mabel on antibiotics and ketoconazole since we got her. I'm so frustrated! :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Do you have Reilly on Pro & Prebiotics? Sounds like an immune system weakness.

I'd suggest the Pearls because they get INTO the stomach therefore can work as
they should. Also, small amts of raw garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf oil kills bad
bacterial, fungus & strengthens immune system. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can be
added to drinking water (a teasp) & food grade 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (a teasp),
also an anti bacterial, anti fungus given daily works great.

You can add ACV & HP to your final rinse when bathing him, pour it over him & do
not rinse, just dry off will help kill germs on skin and help w/itching.

I'd dip his paws in a solution (
@Vicaroo has a great recipe posted) each time he
comes in, you can use this 4 or 5 tmes before discarding. It does sound like outdoor
allergies. Is he on a allergy med when it's bad like Spring or Fall? Keeping a shirt on him
will help protect his skin.

Good luck...let us know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... with as many allergies as he has, his immune system in not stable and can be weakened which causes all the issues. My girl is also allergic to pretty much anything green and we contantly have to wipe her, wash her and give Benedryl. she is 7+ yrs old and it gets worse every spring.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.