Help Needed! Hair loss patch on Lucy

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
Hi all!

Was hoping if you could check out this photo of Lucy. She's had a patch on the right side of her body of missing hair. Vet said a few weeks ago that it could be seasonal allopecia. Taking her back in a few days to get a scrape to see if its mites (I absolutely don't think it is this).

Any ideas?
gumytura.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It does look like seasonal flank alopecia, especially because of its location and color.

I have heard melatonin works for many cases.

I will tag a couple members with experience :)
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I agree with Lisa. Looks like flank allopecia to me too. I had a foster who had it, he had great results with melatonin supplements.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
That's great -- thanks for the quick follow-up. The vet said that allopecia is usually symmetrical (ie would be on her other side as well).

She did recommend to try melatonin supplements. Fingers crossed that should work. She's been on the same exact food for a long time so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for your help so much.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has a bald spot on her side too, not both sides though. I didnt think it was alopecia because the skin underneath is not turning black, like your pups is, and like most alopecias present. It turned out that it wasn't mites either, the vet wouldnt even do a scraping because lola wasn't unbearably itchy or even scratching it. We were told it is a food allergy. Lola went on a rampage of hating kibble and we kept mixing in more and more cheese to get her to eat, but despite this, she wasn't getting enough nutrition. This could have led to a compromised immune system, allowing allergies to present (or even mites) to take over. We found a kibble she will eat, and one meal is raw beef medallians from natures variety. I think the hair is growing back! but we've also tried the melatonin (she wouldnt eat the chalky mint pills though). and Vitamin E really helps the skin and fur, or if you can get your bully to eat wild salmon oil, that will help as well. You also might not realize that dogs can develop a food allergy over time, even to food they've been eating.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Seasonal Flank Alopecia is what I would diagnose

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger/sets/72157630159176396/ keep in mind, this is Gizmo at her Worse, she's alot better now, however, her hair still isnt 100% back, its actually started to thin again, this winter, now with spring coming, we hope it grows back all of the way. We are still using 'The Missing Link' which is a supplement, but we aren't convinced its helping any more, and this will probably be our last bag of it.

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Lola's bald patch.jpg

Our Lola also has a bald patch that I noticed a couple of months ago. She wasn't itching at all and the skin didn't look irritated at all, so I figured it would go away. But instead it's gotten worse - that's why I searched this forum and found this thread! I'd hate to switch her food, as we finally found a good food that seems to be working well for her and our Boston Terrier, who's the one with the touchy stomach. We're feeding them Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Lamb and Brown rice formula, and shows no signs of allergies (our last bully had food allergies). She's just about due for her annual heart worm test, so I was going to ask the vet when we go. I think I'll start melatonin. Thanks!

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
Ok, so now I've been online to try and find melatonin suppliments for dogs, and I can't find any! The searches all say yes, indeed, that's the treatment for flank allopecia, but there doesn't seem to be a dog suppliment. Do you all give your dog an adult melatonin suppliment? Lola's not really good about taking pills, so I was hoping for one in a tasty little dog treat form! :D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok, so now I've been online to try and find melatonin suppliments for dogs, and I can't find any! The searches all say yes, indeed, that's the treatment for flank allopecia, but there doesn't seem to be a dog suppliment. Do you all give your dog an adult melatonin suppliment? Lola's not really good about taking pills, so I was hoping for one in a tasty little dog treat form! :D

Yes I believe you give it in human form, I don't think there is any for canines.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yup. Bea has it. Interestingly, last year, it skipped us completely. She had an absolutely perfect coat last summer. This year, it's back! LOL I think it's going to be reallllly bad this year too. I see patches forming all over the place on her this year. Oh well.

It doesn't hurt them or bother then -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I suppose it would be like having a wart on your nose for some folks. Halloween witches think the wart looks great. Everyone else...not so much.

Summer before last, a lot of folks commented on Bea's "unusual coloring". They thought it was a bridle thing like Bo has. Cwazy. I really did get very tired of explaining seasonal flank alopecia so toward the end of that first summer, I just let em think it was brindling or whatever they wanted to think.....

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Momo dealt with the same thing. It started to look like our cats put a saddle on her and rode her around town at night. The vet said it's exactly what everyone else is saying. Vet took scrapings and everything came back normal. The odd thing was it lasted for about a year and a half. She literally had bald spots on her sides. Then one day, the hair grew back... ? It's very dark hair, so it looks kinda out of place, but atleast it grew back.

For anyone going to Bullypalooza in Ashbury Park you can see Mona and see what I"m talking about.

OP
grecoroman

grecoroman

Dec 7, 2011
New York, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy, born 8/3/11
So would you recommend to try melatonin, even though summer is coming up soon?

If so, how much dosage? Did you just buy pills from GNC?

MichaellWright

Mar 26, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Priscilla and Ikie
I hide all my bullies pills inside cooked PENNE pasta. I boil a small amount each week and keep in refrigerator. They are the perfect size for most pills. Simply stick the pill inside the hole of the pasta.....They are like "pill pockets"....but a lot cheaper. Penne pasta is the best for this. Hope this helps. My dogs love getting their daily pills and supplements.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.