Help Needed! Bloody/mushy stools!!!!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted, it's good to be back!

With that said, I have had a few issues with Tonka lately, the most concerning being his intestinal troubles.

Just a bit of background that might provide insight: We did have Tonka on an antibiotic a couple weeks ago for a bit of acne that got infected and formed a little bump by his mouth. We also switched him from Fromm's beef fritatta to the Surf & Turf flavor a couple months ago-maybe not even (we just started him on the second big bag of it this past week). His stools started to get a bit softer during the time he was on the antibiotic but I know that can happen with those so it's hard to say if it was the med or the food causing the softness at that point. How long does it typically take for a food to have a negative effect if it is going to?

A week or two ago Tonka had an accident in the house (which he hasn't since puppyhood) in the morning before my boyfriend was able to take him out and we thought that was odd, he's never had trouble holding it. So then as of Monday evening on our walk, Tonka pooped five times and it was very soft and looked like it had a greenish tint/slim to it (sorry for the details!). Tuesday morning I woke up to find he had pooped on the floor outside his kennel in a few spots (he gets gated in our kitchen at night). That night he went quite a few times while outside and he was straining to go at times after he had gone a few times already and just little bits were coming out at that point. So then Wednesday morning I woke up to poop all over the floor again because he couldn't hold it in the night and this time it was bloody and there were some blood drops on the floor as well around it. :( Then every time he's gone after that it's been bloody (bright red blood).

I called the vet and he said that it's not parasite season right now so it's unlikely that was the cause and they didn't need a stool sample. So he prescribed metronidozole (spelling?) an antibiotic,for seven days which will get rid of the issue but I am worried it will just come right back...there has to be a cause, right? Food? Something he ate? I am so worried it's the chunk of a toy that he ate recently or something he ate in the past coming back to haunt us. He usually has no trouble passing pieces of toy or things he eats and if anything, will throw them up or they will come out later...never has had diarrhea/mushy stools with blood like this though.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the root cause? Any thoughts on what is going on--food issues, something he swallowed or just no reason for it? I'm having a bit of a mental freakout and am very worried.

L

Lucy-licious

Not with my Bully's but my old Border Collie Shep had Colitis and regular bouts of bloody diarrhoea. We eventually stabilised him on a low protein food and his flare up lessened considerably.

Its not uncommon fir dogs experiencing lots of diarrhoea to end up having blood in it like this. I would suggest not feeding him for 24 hours to rest his stomach then introduce bland diet slowly. Hope he gets better soon :hug:

os make sure you give him Metronidazole with food...it can make him feel sick and even vomit. It's the best antibiotic fir intestinal infections but causes nausea on an empty stomach xx

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Meggs!!! There you are girl I've missed you!

Yes, I have had this happen. It is usually caused by not enough good bacteria I think, stress is another huge factor. Could be from something eaten as well. Tidus just had a couple days of this due to stress. His bonding partner, his sister Yuna is in heat so right now they must be separated. Between not being with his BFF and her being in heat he's obviously stressed.

I suggest yogurt or probiotic, if you use a medication make sure you use probiotic with it because those kill good bacteria too.

Nice to see you back!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Definitely give him some yogurt and maybe start up a bland diet just until his belly is good to go again. I would definitely think the antibiotics caused the stomach upset. I think it's been way too long past your changing his food for that to be affecting him. Good luck. Hope your baby feels better soon.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it were me? I'd mix some white cooked rice and plain pumpkin together and mix it with the kibble , not too much, but just a 1/4 cup at meal time. ( 1 tbs of pumpkin) It would def stiff'n up the poop

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Thank you so much for the responses! Makes me feel a little better! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I have missed you all too, it's good to be back in action. :) I started a new job and life was crazy busy for a while there. :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Meggs19 Hi. My baby Fergus is going thru the same thing as Tonka. He had projectile diarrhea since Weds. and the worst rotten egg gas ever :excited: we took him to the vets today and he is took a stool sample will test for gardia, coccodia (sp) and anything else that might cause stomach issues. He did prescribed Albon, Metronidazole and Kaopectate (aka pepto bismo dosage 8cc every 12 hrs). We started a gradual switch to a bland diet of ground beef and rice with table spoon of yogurt & pumpkin (thinking about doing a probotic supplement instead but he loves yogurt) until his stomach issues is over. Before the diarrhea Fergus is on Fromm Puppy and had nicely formed :poo: but he does have a bad habit of trying to eat everything on the ground in the backyard (potato bugs, worms, snails, bark, grass, dirt, weeds, flowers, rocks ect... :blink:). We keep a eagle eye on him but he is a fast little booger. Hope Tonka feels better soon. There is nothing worse then cleaning up runny :poo: and cleaning a poopy butt (poor baby butt is sore from wiping so after wiping I do a final swipe with a Tucks medicated pad and smear some Destin to help with the soreness). Keep us updated on how he doing.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I hope you find the answer. The only issue I have has with bloody stools is when my bully had swallowed a round steak bone whole. My mom had to monitor him and when he finally did pass it, it was with lots of blood. So my first thought was something he ate.

keep us updated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.