General Question Should we finish his medications?

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi everyone. Hugo went to his doctor last Monday. He pinched his back nerve plus somehow got two bacteria in his system. Since Monday he has been taking 4 types of medications plus a pain killer. Hugo is all better now and we want to stop his medications. We feel like it is messing him up. I called his doctor but the nurse wants us to finish it all up. What should we do??

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
that's a tuff one, if he doesn't need the pain meds any more you could stop those, if it's antibiotics you should finish the entire prescription

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What is the medication doing to him?.... Usually they want you to use it til it is gone.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I know he seams better --but antibiotics need to finish the series or the bacteria could come back, and the pain pills will adjust in time, after a few weeks. But if it really changes the dogs behavior, ask the vet about decreasing the amount or giving it every other day . it depends on the medication. I hope this helps, but always finish antibiotics.
Linda

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally agree with everyone's advice above, if he seems to be better, and not in pain anymore, you could stop giving the pain medication, but remember that bullies have a really high pain tolerance and they don't usually show that they are in pain. The antibiotics should be finished though as the bacteria could come back, and then you would have to start another bout of antibiotics which would mean he would be on antibiotics longer than is necessary. It's the same with people and antibiotics, some people don't finish the medication once they are feeling better, and then they get sick again, and have to take another prescription, and this causes super bugs, and also an unhealthy balance in the body, because the antibiotics don't only kill the bad bacteria, but also the good bacteria in our gut that aids in digestion, so then we get secondary infections and yeast infections. The thing to do is finish the medication, and also give plain yogurt or probiotics or both to offset the antibiotics. Glad he's feeling better.

L

Lucy-licious

Yep, totally agree with the others....finishing antibiotic courses is really important. The length if the course reflects how long it takes to kill the bacteria...not finishing can leave bacteria there that will just flare up again next time immunity drops a little. Also not finishing antibiotics leads to bacterias becoming tolerant to the antibiotic as they can mutate and build immunity. Just like our bodies build immunity to bugs attacking our system x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
yap, totally agree with the others on the antibiotics, always finish them. The pain meds, if you feel he is in no pain, you can stop those.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with others... always finish all antibiotics. as for the pain meds, you can give as you see they are needed.

TonysMiss

Feb 12, 2013
Seattle Area
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Bailey
Definately agree with everyone else.......finishing the antibiotics is a MUST. For any "patient" animal or human.
Glad the little guy is feeling better!!! :D

OP
Hugo2012

Hugo2012

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Thank you everyone. We just wanted to stop because the poor kid can't stop urinating. He always has that guilty's look when he does in the house. We stop the pain medication since yesterday but the antibiotic is making him groggy. We will continue and let him finish all of his antibiotic. Thank you! I am so glad I stumbled upon this little community:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.