My Bully is stinky

Kona13

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
This is our first english bulldog and he is 8 weeks old. Do bulldog normally have a stinky odor?

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Check the nose rope, ears, and tail pocket. There may be some yeast somewhere, make sure when you wipe it out you dry it real good too. Mac's rope was dirty today, I wiped him clean then he was all better!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi! It could also be his diet. When I brought Fergus home he was on Royal Canine and stunk as soon as we switched him to a better food he started to smell better.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is fed Royal Canine and he doesn't smell, I would also check the nose rope, ears and tail pocket.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What are you feeding him? Stinky bulldogs usually mean they are eating something they are sensitive to. A food switch to something they aren't allergic to and the cleaning of yeasty areas mentioned above usually clears up the problem.

Kimo boyz mama

Mar 3, 2013
Los Gatos, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimo and Ollie (brothers, 1 yr apart)
Kimo is on Royal Canine bulldog puppy formula, and never thought he could smell because of it...it definitely is not yeast as he is cleaned with a wipe everyday in the "spots", but after a bath, he seems to smell a little after a few days??? He is crate trained, and he sleeps mostly on the plastic bottom, as he pushes the blankies out of his way, so I figured he just had a little "BO" doggie smell from sweating! LOL! I thought I heard of someone saying that ACV helps? I am going to look into that right now on the board...but any input would be helpful!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
[MENTION=8297]Kimo boyz mama[/MENTION] if he starts smelling like frito chips after a few days its a yeast issue. Even if you wipe him clean the smell doesn't go away. If that is the case it probably due to the food. Bulldogs tends to do better on a no grain kibbles. The tend not to do well on chicken. A healthy bulldog can go months without a bath. Once you find a food that works for your pup there is a huge difference less gas, no smell and smaller poops.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Check all the spots mentioned above and if it does smell like Fritos then you do have a yeast problem and need to look at a different food.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Stinky odor is not normal. Food is the most likely cause for bad smell AND yeast. My baby's don't really smell at all. I feed raw and washed my Voitto for the first time when he was 6 months old and even then just for the fun of it.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Stinky odor is not normal. Food is the most likely cause for bad smell AND yeast. My baby's don't really smell at all. I feed raw and washed my Voitto for the first time when he was 6 months old and even then just for the fun of it.

Fun and bath time usually don't go together in my house lol.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Kimo is on Royal Canine bulldog puppy formula, and never thought he could smell because of it...it definitely is not yeast as he is cleaned with a wipe everyday in the "spots", but after a bath, he seems to smell a little after a few days??? He is crate trained, and he sleeps mostly on the plastic bottom, as he pushes the blankies out of his way, so I figured he just had a little "BO" doggie smell from sweating! LOL! I thought I heard of someone saying that ACV helps? I am going to look into that right now on the board...but any input would be helpful!

This is our first english bulldog and he is 8 weeks old. Do bulldog normally have a stinky odor?

Both of these articles have great ideas about where and why the stickiness may be happening. Can you describe the stinky smell?

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...-Nose-Ropes-Folds-Paws-Tail-Pockets-and-Vulva

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...llergies-Information-Treatment-and-Prevention

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We put Sheldon on Merrick Whole Earth Farms and he is doing wonderful on that. We have spa time but that is not only for Sheldon but for Mommy too because Mommy gets some snuggle time in.

Kimo boyz mama

Mar 3, 2013
Los Gatos, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimo and Ollie (brothers, 1 yr apart)
I never thought he smelled like Frito chips...but hmm...maybe??? He seems like a "sweaty smelling" dog rather than a "wet dog" smell. Thanks for those links. I have concluded, since he does appear to have yeast stains on his rope he is experiencing issues. I have just changed my order from Pet flow to Fromm pork & peas and Surf & Turf...but I think I just looked at the surf & turf and it has potato? I will have to look again and maybe adjust my order. He has been on Royal Canin bulldog puppy and never had issues all these months since changing it (6 months ago)--but he now does have a couple dime sized hair loss on his back (no redness or itchiness)==just plucked hair? And today, his skin looks a little pinkish near the back of his neck---So, I will give him a bath like the video mentioned (no oatmeal) and give him the vinegar rinse. I will add 1T. plain yogurt to his diet and add the ACV to his water. I am hoping all this will be for the better. He is 8 months now, and I was going to schedule his neuter, but maybe will wait until he is all cleared to prevent stress. I hope this helps my little "stinker"! :D

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sounds like your on the right track

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.