Help Needed! This is what Bongo sounds like after a long walk normal?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,
Bongo is 14 months now and it seems the more active he is the more of a motor mouth he has in breathing. This video in the beginning his breathing is labored and dry which is new then after we finally get him to drink its what it normally sounds like phlegmy and motory. What do you guys think normal or not?

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he may have an elongated palate, I would get a good bully vet check him out. In the mean time I wouldn't walk him so far as to get him that hot until you get him checked out. It's a pretty simple surgery to fix it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like he may have an elongated palate, I would get a good bully vet check him out. In the mean time I wouldn't walk him so far as to get him that hot until you get him checked out. It's a pretty simple surgery to fix it.

Agreed ^^^^ Nitschke had this done and did much better after the procedure

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
thank you for posting this and for those who have responded. i have been thinking that lola has an elongated palette and it is nice to hear/see a bully that may have one to compare. our normal vet doesnt think she's got one, but he just looked quickly without lola being under anesthesia. guess i'll have to find a bully vet and put her under :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@aprilemari Buddy had one and Jewel the bully we adopted had one and our vet saw it right away. When we got Jewel, we knew she had one by the way she would have some problems swallowing her food, took her in and our vet confirmed it. We had them fixed and they have never been better. Find a good bully vet to do the surgery, so it will get done correctly and safely.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo

You think so? It's not hot here in Vancouver, Canada only about 10 degrees. He calmed down and is back to normal. It may have had something to do with the fact that a dog tried to attack him at the dog park on our walk first time this has happened. Proud to say he did not back down to the much bigger dog I did quickly separate them but that as never happened. He's at home and when he's not running around he breathes through his nose. Once he starts going though its through his mouth. He's also become a pretty prolific snorer now.
I'm going to take him to the vet this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
thanks,
Frank, Bongo & Louie

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4518]Fbjdd[/MENTION] I take it that was 10 deg. C? If they cannot breath well they can get too hot on a long walk even in cool weather, or in his case with the other dog, getting worked up. Bullies will not back down very often and once they get mad they will fight till they can't anymore, usually when they collapse from exhaustion and the outcome is not good. I do think he has an elongated palate. They will snore loudly with that also. A good bully vet will see it right away. Keep us posted.

Most Reactions

Members online