Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red brown dirt in face wrinkles?

Real Name
    JB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Default Red brown dirt in face wrinkles?

Our bully has recently developed red brown dirt in his face wrinkles. We clean them out with baby wipes and with stridex pads everyday. The wrinkles don't smell too strong so we don't think it is yeast but we are new bully owners and are unsure.

The wrinkle face pockets became brown and red following a trip to visit grandma. We are unsure if it might be a food allergy from eating another dogs food or maybe environmental allergy?

If the red brown dirt continues to develop daily would it be a yeast infection?
    Brutus!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red brown dirt in face wrinkles?

I am pretty sure that's yeast..let's get someone who might know for sure @desertskybulldogs. @2BullyMama. @Davidh.. @cowsmom

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Could just be from allergies, if it doesn't really smell. Buddy get that sometimes and we just keep it clean.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    JB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

We have been visiting a lot of family lately so it is possible that he was given table scraps by someone without us knowing. We have not changed his diet at all since we adopted him and switched over to Natures Variety Prairie Chicken Meal but perhaps he recently developed an allergy to the food.
    Brutus!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

it could just be someone gave him something or something in the environment. i would just keep it clean and dry as possible and see what happens over the next week. i think some here use witch hazel for wrinkles and duoxo pads work wonders to. keeping the wrinkles dry is essential so make sure they are dry after cleaning also.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Would different water do it? I know when I switched mine to filtered Lilly's wrinkles cleared up...but I'm not sure if unfiltered or different water would do that in a short period of time. Just an idea. Table scraps are more likely the culprit...it's so hard to resist that cute face
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Banks suffers with this during spring/fall -- try to keep them clean/dry, witch hazel helps a good deal and I also give Benedyl 2x a day to lessen the watery eyes
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    JB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! We are moving in less than a week to Los Angeles so we will see if changes in environment and water source helps. We are cleaning folds everyday and tracking food ingredients! Thanks again for all your help!!!!
    Brutus!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Poplawski View Post
    Thank you! We are moving in less than a week to Los Angeles so we will see if changes in environment and water source helps. We are cleaning folds everyday and tracking food ingredients! Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Well...let me welcome you to Caleeeeeefornia! Are you going to live in LA or a suburb? Will be quite the change for sure!

Lucy-licious

Quote Originally Posted by Poplawski View Post
    Hiya, red/brown sticky dirt is definitely yeast...just wondering if your making sure its really dry in there after you clean. For the time being after you clean, dry it using absorbent paper towels of some sort, make sure it's really dry and apply some Desitin cream, just a tiny bit, but enough to protect from the wet. Doing this simple thing twice a day will get rid if tear stains in no time at all....you'll only need to use Desitin in his nose fold once a day, and don't forget those pesky wrinkles on his chin

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Could be a few things. Perhaps he developed a food sensitivity to the chicken you are feeding him. This is possible since a lot of bullies are sensitive/allergic to chicken. It could be the water but I dont know since I always gave my guy filtered water. I do not think if some one sneaked in table food here or there then that would cause it.

Regardless of the cause, clean those wrinkles and folds daily to avoid buildup. Although I use something other than Stridex pads, they are called Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads which I cut in half to double my usage. I also use Witch Hazel since its gentle and all natural.

But without an allergy test it would be damn near impossible to tell what is causing the buildup. Goodluck

Real Name
    JB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! I hope to get an allergy test done when we get to Los Angeles. We are going to be relocating on the westside of Los Angeles
    Brutus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads