Help Needed! Red brown dirt in face wrinkles?

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Our bully has recently developed red brown dirt in his face wrinkles. We clean them out with baby wipes and with stridex pads everyday. The wrinkles don't smell too strong so we don't think it is yeast but we are new bully owners and are unsure.

The wrinkle face pockets became brown and red following a trip to visit grandma. We are unsure if it might be a food allergy from eating another dogs food or maybe environmental allergy?

If the red brown dirt continues to develop daily would it be a yeast infection?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Could just be from allergies, if it doesn't really smell. Buddy get that sometimes and we just keep it clean.

OP
Poplawski

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
We have been visiting a lot of family lately so it is possible that he was given table scraps by someone without us knowing. We have not changed his diet at all since we adopted him and switched over to Natures Variety Prairie Chicken Meal but perhaps he recently developed an allergy to the food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
it could just be someone gave him something or something in the environment. i would just keep it clean and dry as possible and see what happens over the next week. i think some here use witch hazel for wrinkles and duoxo pads work wonders to. keeping the wrinkles dry is essential so make sure they are dry after cleaning also.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Would different water do it? I know when I switched mine to filtered Lilly's wrinkles cleared up...but I'm not sure if unfiltered or different water would do that in a short period of time. Just an idea. Table scraps are more likely the culprit...it's so hard to resist that cute face :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks suffers with this during spring/fall -- try to keep them clean/dry, witch hazel helps a good deal and I also give Benedyl 2x a day to lessen the watery eyes

OP
Poplawski

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thank you! We are moving in less than a week to Los Angeles so we will see if changes in environment and water source helps. We are cleaning folds everyday and tracking food ingredients! Thanks again for all your help!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you! We are moving in less than a week to Los Angeles so we will see if changes in environment and water source helps. We are cleaning folds everyday and tracking food ingredients! Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Well...let me welcome you to Caleeeeeefornia! Are you going to live in LA or a suburb? Will be quite the change for sure! :)

L

Lucy-licious

Hiya, red/brown sticky dirt is definitely yeast...just wondering if your making sure its really dry in there after you clean. For the time being after you clean, dry it using absorbent paper towels of some sort, make sure it's really dry and apply some Desitin cream, just a tiny bit, but enough to protect from the wet. Doing this simple thing twice a day will get rid if tear stains in no time at all....you'll only need to use Desitin in his nose fold once a day, and don't forget those pesky wrinkles on his chin :hug:

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Could be a few things. Perhaps he developed a food sensitivity to the chicken you are feeding him. This is possible since a lot of bullies are sensitive/allergic to chicken. It could be the water but I dont know since I always gave my guy filtered water. I do not think if some one sneaked in table food here or there then that would cause it.

Regardless of the cause, clean those wrinkles and folds daily to avoid buildup. Although I use something other than Stridex pads, they are called Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% PS Pads which I cut in half to double my usage. I also use Witch Hazel since its gentle and all natural.

But without an allergy test it would be damn near impossible to tell what is causing the buildup. Goodluck

OP
Poplawski

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks! I hope to get an allergy test done when we get to Los Angeles. We are going to be relocating on the westside of Los Angeles :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The red stuff could be either fungal or bacterial, if we get that I use malacetic ultra. Since it has active ingredients to kill both types, it works like a dream come true.

However, discontinue use of this product once the brown stuff is gone. Since it contains a tiny bit of steroid in it I would never recommend it for long term use.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.