Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Back to the vet for Otis

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Back to the vet for Otis

    I swear I live at the vets.....every day we have something going on but most importantly is this ear infection that has been ongoing for atleast a month and a half and does not get better.

    This is the 3rd visit, we have changed medications once and I also changed his food thinking thats why it wasn't going away. Went grain free, potato free and chicken free. Now feeding him California Natural, Kangaroo and Lentils.

    My poor guy wakes up in the middle of the night scratching and shaking his head. I give him benedryl if he wakes up during the night and put hydrocordison on his scratches.

    I think it's time for an allergy test and the vet really needs to spend more then a moment and check to see if it's yeast, bacteria, maybe even mites (although Otis is on a antibiotic for that right now, day 19 out of 30)

    Any ideas or questions I should be asking my vet?

    Thanks everyone.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11505

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Poor Otis and Momma..... could be the antibiotic is not strong enough for what the issue si. Can you see in the ear? Does it have an odor?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #3
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LillyNBruin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    761
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Have you tried Zymox? I'm not sure about using Zymox while on antibiotics, someone else here might be able to say whether its ok or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as the Zymox is just enzymes (depending on which one you get, one has hydrocortisone) I use the one with hydrocortisone and it really helps Bruin a lot. Within 20 - 30 minutes he's not shaking his head or scratching. They suggest to use it 7 days for an infection and 14 days for chronic infections. Of course it only helps with the symptoms, and the allergy test you mentioned will help with finding the root of the problem.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Poor Otis and Momma..... could be the antibiotic is not strong enough for what the issue si. Can you see in the ear? Does it have an odor?
    I do not smell an odor really (other then normal bully odor, which I love...lol) I cant see in his ear, he is a tough one when it comes to his face and anything about it, it's truly a chore getting the ears cleaned and meds in, two person job.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LillyNBruin View Post
    Have you tried Zymox? I'm not sure about using Zymox while on antibiotics, someone else here might be able to say whether its ok or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as the Zymox is just enzymes (depending on which one you get, one has hydrocortisone) I use the one with hydrocortisone and it really helps Bruin a lot. Within 20 - 30 minutes he's not shaking his head or scratching. They suggest to use it 7 days for an infection and 14 days for chronic infections. Of course it only helps with the symptoms, and the allergy test you mentioned will help with finding the root of the problem.
    I will google Zymox right now.....thank you.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  5. #5
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,202
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2738

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Oh Lynn, it does seem that way with our bullies, if they weren't so special...

    I'm sure more will be here w/experience & advice to share as I only have
    had ONE bully, no ear problems. Will be keeping Otis in my prayers for a
    correct dx and therefore a solution.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  6. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    I've heard that colloidal silver is good for cleaning ears with infection. And are you giving hime pro-and prebiotics while on antibiotics? Antibiotics can lead to yeast and a nasty cycle of itchy ears.

  7. #7
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    ok my first question is are they giving you something to put in the ear itself or just anti biotics. i would get something to actually go in the ear. ive heard of zymox but never used it myself or you can get some chloraseb flush from entirelypets that you can put in the ear as well as other places on the body. its an antifungal/antibacterial. the vet also should be able to give your something to go in the ear. ear infections are usually linked to food but if may just be you have never cleared up the actual infection that started it. if this continues i would maybe see about another food. going grain potato and chicken free does not mean it agrees with your bully. i have had continuing problems with sarah in one of her ears and depending on what food i had her on. an allergy test is always a good idea. not fool proof but it is a great start to find out what is causing this. if i can be of more help i am always around.

  8. #8
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Oh Lynn, it does seem that way with our bullies, if they weren't so special...

    I'm sure more will be here w/experience & advice to share as I only have
    had ONE bully, no ear problems. Will be keeping Otis in my prayers for a
    correct dx and therefore a solution.
    Thank you Carol! Doc say's it may be allergies, had test done yesterday - will take 3 weeks to get results. Until then he said keep on ear medicane that he has and give 12 benedryl a night. Hope all is well with you.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    ok my first question is are they giving you something to put in the ear itself or just anti biotics. i would get something to actually go in the ear. ive heard of zymox but never used it myself or you can get some chloraseb flush from entirelypets that you can put in the ear as well as other places on the body. its an antifungal/antibacterial. the vet also should be able to give your something to go in the ear. ear infections are usually linked to food but if may just be you have never cleared up the actual infection that started it. if this continues i would maybe see about another food. going grain potato and chicken free does not mean it agrees with your bully. i have had continuing problems with sarah in one of her ears and depending on what food i had her on. an allergy test is always a good idea. not fool proof but it is a great start to find out what is causing this. if i can be of more help i am always around.
    Thank you Sandra - the medicane he's on is a suspension med that we put in his ear. We also clean ear and let dry before giving the meds - we clean with Oti-clense first.
    The vet said it may be allergies, so I had the test done yesterday and they said I should have the results back in about 3 weeks. Good timing I assume with spring coming soon. I will also then be able to see if it is his food adding to the problem. I wasn't expecting the price of an allergy test though ($300.00) but I'd pay anything to have my precious baby be happy and content.

    Until the test comes in he said stick with the meds, and to give him a benedryl every night before bed time. I did that last night and he slept like a baby. They said the allergy medicane would help to also clear the infection up if it is caused by allergies.

    I appreciate your response above.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  10. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LynnA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,370
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I've heard that colloidal silver is good for cleaning ears with infection. And are you giving hime pro-and prebiotics while on antibiotics? Antibiotics can lead to yeast and a nasty cycle of itchy ears.
    Hmmm, no I am not, will google it. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

  11. #11
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    oh ok well i will be waiting for news that otis is better.

  12. #12
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Back to the vet for Otis

    Well hopefully the allergy test will help. If he doesn't get better soon, maybe a different vet will help.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •