General Question Back to the vet for Otis

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I swear I live at the vets.....every day we have something going on but most importantly is this ear infection that has been ongoing for atleast a month and a half and does not get better.

This is the 3rd visit, we have changed medications once and I also changed his food thinking thats why it wasn't going away. Went grain free, potato free and chicken free. Now feeding him California Natural, Kangaroo and Lentils.

My poor guy wakes up in the middle of the night scratching and shaking his head. I give him benedryl if he wakes up during the night and put hydrocordison on his scratches.

I think it's time for an allergy test and the vet really needs to spend more then a moment and check to see if it's yeast, bacteria, maybe even mites (although Otis is on a antibiotic for that right now, day 19 out of 30)

Any ideas or questions I should be asking my vet?

Thanks everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Otis and Momma..... could be the antibiotic is not strong enough for what the issue si. Can you see in the ear? Does it have an odor?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Have you tried Zymox? I'm not sure about using Zymox while on antibiotics, someone else here might be able to say whether its ok or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as the Zymox is just enzymes (depending on which one you get, one has hydrocortisone) I use the one with hydrocortisone and it really helps Bruin a lot. Within 20 - 30 minutes he's not shaking his head or scratching. They suggest to use it 7 days for an infection and 14 days for chronic infections. Of course it only helps with the symptoms, and the allergy test you mentioned will help with finding the root of the problem.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Poor Otis and Momma..... could be the antibiotic is not strong enough for what the issue si. Can you see in the ear? Does it have an odor?

I do not smell an odor really (other then normal bully odor, which I love...lol) I cant see in his ear, he is a tough one when it comes to his face and anything about it, it's truly a chore getting the ears cleaned and meds in, two person job.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried Zymox? I'm not sure about using Zymox while on antibiotics, someone else here might be able to say whether its ok or not. I don't see why it wouldn't be though as the Zymox is just enzymes (depending on which one you get, one has hydrocortisone) I use the one with hydrocortisone and it really helps Bruin a lot. Within 20 - 30 minutes he's not shaking his head or scratching. They suggest to use it 7 days for an infection and 14 days for chronic infections. Of course it only helps with the symptoms, and the allergy test you mentioned will help with finding the root of the problem.

I will google Zymox right now.....thank you.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Lynn, it does seem that way with our bullies, if they weren't so special...

I'm sure more will be here w/experience & advice to share as I only have
had ONE bully, no ear problems. Will be keeping Otis in my prayers for a
correct dx and therefore a solution.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've heard that colloidal silver is good for cleaning ears with infection. And are you giving hime pro-and prebiotics while on antibiotics? Antibiotics can lead to yeast and a nasty cycle of itchy ears.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok my first question is are they giving you something to put in the ear itself or just anti biotics. i would get something to actually go in the ear. ive heard of zymox but never used it myself or you can get some chloraseb flush from entirelypets that you can put in the ear as well as other places on the body. its an antifungal/antibacterial. the vet also should be able to give your something to go in the ear. ear infections are usually linked to food but if may just be you have never cleared up the actual infection that started it. if this continues i would maybe see about another food. going grain potato and chicken free does not mean it agrees with your bully. i have had continuing problems with sarah in one of her ears and depending on what food i had her on. an allergy test is always a good idea. not fool proof but it is a great start to find out what is causing this. if i can be of more help i am always around.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Oh Lynn, it does seem that way with our bullies, if they weren't so special...

I'm sure more will be here w/experience & advice to share as I only have
had ONE bully, no ear problems. Will be keeping Otis in my prayers for a
correct dx and therefore a solution.

Thank you Carol! Doc say's it may be allergies, had test done yesterday - will take 3 weeks to get results. Until then he said keep on ear medicane that he has and give 12 benedryl a night. Hope all is well with you.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
ok my first question is are they giving you something to put in the ear itself or just anti biotics. i would get something to actually go in the ear. ive heard of zymox but never used it myself or you can get some chloraseb flush from entirelypets that you can put in the ear as well as other places on the body. its an antifungal/antibacterial. the vet also should be able to give your something to go in the ear. ear infections are usually linked to food but if may just be you have never cleared up the actual infection that started it. if this continues i would maybe see about another food. going grain potato and chicken free does not mean it agrees with your bully. i have had continuing problems with sarah in one of her ears and depending on what food i had her on. an allergy test is always a good idea. not fool proof but it is a great start to find out what is causing this. if i can be of more help i am always around.

Thank you Sandra - the medicane he's on is a suspension med that we put in his ear. We also clean ear and let dry before giving the meds - we clean with Oti-clense first.
The vet said it may be allergies, so I had the test done yesterday and they said I should have the results back in about 3 weeks. Good timing I assume with spring coming soon. I will also then be able to see if it is his food adding to the problem. I wasn't expecting the price of an allergy test though ($300.00) but I'd pay anything to have my precious baby be happy and content.

Until the test comes in he said stick with the meds, and to give him a benedryl every night before bed time. I did that last night and he slept like a baby. They said the allergy medicane would help to also clear the infection up if it is caused by allergies.

I appreciate your response above.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I've heard that colloidal silver is good for cleaning ears with infection. And are you giving hime pro-and prebiotics while on antibiotics? Antibiotics can lead to yeast and a nasty cycle of itchy ears.

Hmmm, no I am not, will google it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hopefully the allergy test will help. If he doesn't get better soon, maybe a different vet will help.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I hope you have a typo on 12 Benedryl at nite :eek:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.