Daddy has Giardia ....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Luckily we picked Daddy up from the rescue place on Thursday, and had already arranged a wellness check-up for him that day at 3.30pm. The stool tests have come back and he is positive for Giardia... :down:

So that means ALL our dogs have to be treated for it ... but at least it explains why his poops have been getting more and more loose. This morning it was actually diahorrea with some blood in it. If the test results hadn't come back we would have been calling the vets this afternoon!!

Poor puppy! :*(

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor Daddy! I hope he gets better soon.

PS I love that you named him Daddy, I loved Caesar Milan's daddy so much that I would have considered naming a bully of mine that too!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Aww poor Daddy Blue!! it should be quick to fix it they'll either give him marquis or albon my deaf american bulldog had it when i got her. The breeder sent me home with 2weeks worth of marquis and she was great after that.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes hopefully it will go away quickly. It took 3-4 tries when ours had it, it was AWFUL. Hope you have some desitin for the butt in case of 'daiper rash', but maybe you caught it early enough that you won't go through the shooting poo 3 feet away and all that soreness like ours did. Ours got it from a puddle!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], First I had to google what that even was :eek:..I have never heard of it, secondly, since you have to treat all the other dogs for it, is it possible that YOU could get it also?? I hope this is not a stupid question, but I was just wondering.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My husband brought the stuff back from the vets .... the two little ones who are the schnauzer/poodle mix and shih tzu/poodle mix have been given the liquid Panacur (de-wormer) because of their size. The other dogs, including Daddy, have been put on Metronidazole which is an antibiotic.

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I did some digging on the computer and it can be caught by humans. I sent my two kids around the house with disinfectant wipes to wipe every single door knob in the house!!

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I haven't got any desitin but I'm hoping we've caught it in time. If not, thanks for the tip!!!

I've just emailed the lady from the rescue place to warn her that her other rescue pups may have it, and it's fairly certain that Daddy's brother and sister will have it!!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I wonder why they didnt give him albon or marquis? I'v enever heard of those other medications being given. Please keep us UTD on how they are doing.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Oh I feel so sorry for Daddy. You know he doesn't understand and probably confused. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I know what you mean about shooting poops, Bella got to the point she shot hers out about 3 feet, you had to be careful when you went out with her, no standing behind her! I did forget one time.....yuck! [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], I am so glad you have connections to the rest of his litter, you just never know what might develop and I hope the rescue keeps you all informed!' I really hope Daddy get better soon so you can enjoy your little man!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
So we started the medication last night ..... and good news because for the first time since we got him we didn't have a cage full of poop when we got up!!! When he did poop outside it was semi-soft and not liquid!!!

He was left alone for three hours this morning whilst the kids were at school and we were both working - I came back to a totally dry cage!! :up:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
As a side note, Metronidazole exerts a bactericidal action on gram positive and some gram negative bacteria.......... in FISH. I use it often when treating sick fish. Many antibiotics cross over. Gracie was on amoxicillin before her surgery today. The vet gave her 20 pills for $25. Had I known what he was giving her I would have just used some of the bottle of 100 ea. that I already had. I know now to ask beforehand.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.