Help Needed! Ace gagging

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace woke us up at about 4 am this morning gagging as if he needed to throw up, this continued over a thirty minute time period or longer. He eventually threw up but it was just a small bit of yellowish spittle. While he is coughing and gagging it sounds gravelly like someone trying to clear their throat of mucus. Later this morning he still gags and acts like he is trying to cough something up but nothing ever comes out. Its not continual now just periodically. He eats, drinks and his bowel movements seem normal. He is a little subdued but not lethargic. I'm concerned that he may have something hung in his throat but not so large that he can't eat around it. I but my fingers as far back in his mouth and throat as I could and felt no obstruction. Anyone have experience with something similar?

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
This happens to Georgie Girl, and for us it has been a mucus thing. Squirt some lemon juice from one of those plastic lemon juice containers in the back of his throat. The lemon juice helps break up the mucus.
Good Luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would watch him as it sounds like something could be caught in his throat. He may have eaten something he should not have.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I will continue to keep an eye on him. He has only gagged about once in the last hour and that was after he had some water. He has eaten the normal amount of food this morning and seemed to not have any difficulty swallowing. It does sound like mucous when he gags but I was/am concerned that something lodged in his throat, even though perhaps small enough to still allow him to eat, had the throat irritated and was causing the mucous. On occasions when he is sleeping and snoring there is the sound of mucous in his nostrils.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus did this when he decided to eat a rim off of my nephews play car...He was gagging b/c he was trying to throw it up which he did but it was quite scary! After about 20 mins he got it up! Had it been any bigger I think we would have had to go to ER. I would keep a close eye on him and if no change a vet visit may be needed! Hope its nothing! Keep us posted

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I was wondering if it could be allergies. Momo will start sounding like shes hacking - for lack of a better term, but nothing but clear stuff comes out. She doesn't do this often but usually when the flowers are starting to bloom.
Hope he feels better soon, can't feel good on his little throat....maybe some doggie ice cream will help him...??? (I got your back, Ace!)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Rural mystic...Tim...just now reading this post...how frightening!

Will be praying for y'all & Ace that this resolves immediately & w/out harm.

GOD be with you & blessing you! Much love, Carol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is ace doing?

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
He has only had about three episodes all day since the early morning spell he went through. He is eating, drinking like normal so we will see how he does. Thanks all for the reply's and concern.

- - - Updated - - -

He has only had about three episodes all day since the early morning spell he went through. He is eating, drinking like normal so we will see how he does. Thanks all for the reply's and concern.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Spoke too soon. We were just playing and he stopped and dropped the ball and gagged some sputum up and it looked like it may have had a small trace of blood in it. He wasn't interested in fetching the ball any more after that which is very unusual for him he usually won't stop until he is all tired out

egghunt3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Spoke too soon. We were just playing and he stopped and dropped the ball and gagged some sputum up and it looked like it may have had a small trace of blood in it. He wasn't interested in fetching the ball any more after that which is very unusual for him he usually won't stop until he is all tired out

I see a vet visit ,,,,,

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in too and not happy w/your update, will continue w/prayers
that the problem is found and easily fixed. Keep us posted, Tim...GOD bless!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The gagging and coughing up has happened with Finn and Tate in the past and this turned into kennel cough. The little trace of blood however is concerning. Could be from all the hacking and irritation it's caused but i'd want the vet to check that out. Please keep us posted.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace going to the Vet this afternoon. Its the earliest they could see him today. Straight to quarantine because of his symptoms

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Ace. Hope it's nothing serious. Sending love, hugs and prayers that everything is ok. Please keep us posted. Feel better Ace

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.