Help Needed! Ace gagging

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ace going to the Vet this afternoon. Its the earliest they could see him today. Straight to quarantine because of his symptoms

OH NO.... quarantine? Kennel Cough?

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
OH NO.... quarantine? Kennel Cough?
Yes, could be kennel cough but they have to take precautions just in case that's why the quarantine. Ace was inoculated for bordetella before I picked him up from the kennel but even though they can still catch it from what I understand. He woke us up again in the wee hours this morning hacking and gurgling with mucus so much so it was frightening. He ate this morning and seems relatively ok there is no discharge from his nostrils but they do seem a little wetter around the nostrils than usual and if when he gets active, he ran some in the backyard just now, he starts hacking

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, could be kennel cough but they have to take precautions just in case that's why the quarantine. Ace was inoculated for bordetella before I picked him up from the kennel but even though they can still catch it from what I understand. He woke us up again in the wee hours this morning hacking and gurgling with mucus so much so it was frightening. He ate this morning and seems relatively ok there is no discharge from his nostrils but they do seem a little wetter around the nostrils than usual and if when he gets active, he ran some in the backyard just now, he starts hacking

Yes, the vaccine doe not mean they will not get it... just give some resistance to it. Good luck with the visit and let us know how it goes.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Vet visit
Vet ruled out obstruction by symptoms [not continually coughing, good appetite and bowel movements]
Prescribed an antibiotic and to report in 48hours on condition. If condition worsens [increased coughing, lack of appetite and nasal discharge] to bring Ace back in. She said there has been an abnormal amount of pneumonia recently. She also prescribed an antihistamine for allergic reactions which she attributed to environment, heavy pollen count and etc.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks for the update. I'm glad he saw the vet and I'm sure the antibiotics will help him. Give him a big hug from us. Get well soon, Ace! :hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So relieved Ace saw his Vet and no obstructions. Poor guy...praying the meds
knock this out quick and he's well & fit, asap! Give him a butt scratch from me.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Thanks all for the encouragement and concern. I hope these meds provide the remedy. I'm really very fond of this dog and attached to him as he is to me

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks all for the encouragement and concern. I hope these meds provide the remedy. I'm really very fond of this dog and attached to him as he is to me

Yeah Hon, we know & understand. Since losing Brutus in January, just after my Bday,
I searched for another and almost took one of Davidh's but soon realized I couldn't just
yet, my heart yearned for only Brutus. I almost believed he'd be the only one, that I was
not meant to have another but recently, I've started looking for another rescue or one
to adopt, needing a home. Ace is lucky to have your home, your care and your love.
:2thumbs:

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yeah Hon, we know & understand. Since losing Brutus in January, just after my Bday,
I searched for another and almost took one of Davidh's but soon realized I couldn't just
yet, my heart yearned for only Brutus. I almost believed he'd be the only one, that I was
not meant to have another but recently, I've started looking for another rescue or one
to adopt, needing a home. Ace is lucky to have your home, your care and your love.
:2thumbs:

Thanks obviously you and many others in this forum know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you will find that special one. My Brutus my AmStaff that I had in the mid 70's is the reason I have wanted another bully all these years and honestly our little Gabe the maltese which was my first inside dog revealed to me all I had missed by not having a dog live inside with me by my side continually when home. I realized with Gabe all I had missed with my beloved Brutus and it would haunt me to remember looking out the sliding glass door and seeing Brutus longingly looking in at me. I determined then if I ever got another bully breed it would be brought up close by me and I could give the dog everything it deserved. They repay all our loving kindness one hundred fold

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the update, and glad it wasn't an obstruction. Hope the meds start working fast and he has a speedy recovery.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace's condition. He does have a bit of a runny nose. It's not a heavy discharge and seems to me that may be good that it may be a sign of the mucus loosening up. He is on one antibiotic every 12 hours so he has only just now had his third one. So I am going to wait and see how its doing tomorrow. If it gets worse I may take him back to the vet. They have me scheduled for another checkup on Saturday if he needs it and the vet wanted a report in 48 hrs on his condition. She said bring him back in if he started having nasal discharge but not sure what that exactly means now when I think about it. A runny nose or nasal discharge? He is still rambunctious and is still eating good. He does tire out quicker we did a little fetch just now and he decided to quit much sooner than he usually does

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I remember when mine caught Kennel Cough, they also had some runny nasal discharge. It was mostly clear. How about giving your vet's office a call tomorrow just to report that instead of bringing him in right away. You always have that Sat appt. to fall back in should he need to come in for a follow up. It's a good sign that he's active and eating well.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
His nasal discharge is mostly clear with just a little thickness much like a person would have with a cold. He is not wheezing nor coughing, He didn't hack nearly as much last night as he did the two previous nights.

OP
Rural mystic

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace has been on the antibiotic for 5 days and this morning his improvement is clearly evident, even yesterday he had some nasal draining but today he seems markedly improved. As of now no nasal draining and much more rambunctious than he has been since getting sick. The vet gave him a 10 day course of antibiotics and I will finish the course of antibiotics but saw no reason to take him back to his scheduled vet visit today. They scheduled visit was in case he hadn't improved or had gotten worse

Members online

No members online now.