URGENT!!! Bertha has crystalized phosphates in her urine

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I took Bertha's second UA in yesterday after her second treatment for a UTI. She was not helpful so I was only able to get her initial urine and about a 10-20cc sample. The vet tech called late yesterday and said the urine came back with increased phosphates, I think 10 was the number. This had increased from her urine from about 2 weeks. The vet was gone for the day. She said they would want to change her diet to a presribed diet. That concerns me as well. Bertha has no skin or allergy problems from her food. Is there another way to decrease the phosphates? The tech was going to talk to the vet today and then call me again. Any comments or words to the wise is much needed.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Phosphates are minerals found in meat or fish. Normally this can be lowered by feeding lower amounts of protein.

What is Bertha eating now?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have no advice Tracy but I sure do hope everything gets better for Bertha :hug: :hug: :hug:

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phosphates are minerals found in meat or fish. Normally this can be lowered by feeding lower amounts of protein.

What is Bertha eating now?

Natures Domain form Costco. It is the one made from Diamond which compares to Taste of Wild. Chicken

L

Lucy-licious

Oh no...I know how distressed you must be right now. I felt like it was the end of the world when they told me Billy had urate Crystals. Thankfully Billys were caused by a very nasty infection that cleared up after a 4 week course of antibiotics. My vet spoke to Hills who told him it was worth treating for this infection because Billy at the time was too young for their special diet :hug:
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is very knowledgable about crystals and stones...and helped put my mind at ease with regards the diet, as Usko eats raw and is managed well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww Tracy.. I know you're worried. Lets think positive .. Maybe it will be like Billy's ..:pray: There are great people here to help you and Miss Bertha. :hug:

OP
agingermom

agingermom

Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So the vet agreed that we dont want to change foods unless we have to. So I am to give her cranberry pills from costco and weekly PH to see if this will help. Cross our fingers!!

L

Lucy-licious

Oh good, fingers crossed her ph stays level and no more crystals form xx

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope that works, keep us posted.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Poor baby!!! Hopefully the cranberry pills work and she won't have to go through anything else

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wonder if the supplement I have used will also help, it's in my article on UTI on the home page.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For that type of stones it is really over reacting to chance to prescription food. They are common after UTI. UTI raises pH in urine and struvite crystals can form. They dissolve easier than many others type of stones and do not require a chance in diet. You can buy a pH meter and check her urine regularly. You can google phosphate crystals dogaware for good information.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.