ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi is eating all of the things!!

A few days ago he almost chocked on a cap to a water bottle (don't ask me how he got one) and as I was flipping him upside down to literally let gravity drop it out of his throat, he ended up swallowing it. He's been pooping ever since. I have been looking for it, but I haven't exactly seen it in a form I'm expecting.

Then this morning he somehow ate a plastic clip off of his soft crate. That's like 2 inches of plastic bits.

How alarmed should I be? Should I be rushing him to the vet, or only if he doesn't poop?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I can't give any medical advice, but I have the same thing with Wilbur. He has eaten (and swallowed) so much crap I can't even begin to tell you - plastic lattice work, pieces of the compost bin, kilos of wood and sticks, stuffing/fluff...he is like a vacuum, he sucks it all up before I even realize. He even eats dirt. Plain dirt, and then he comes in the house and throws up a messy mud pile. The plastic lattice was awful - it is white and lines the garden. With all the snow, I literally didn't even know he has been chewing and eating it all winter. I feel terrible. Layla spits everything out, but Wilbur swallows.

Wilbur will throw up sometimes, and sometimes I can see all the things he has eaten. He poops it out sometimes too.

I try not to worry too much and I watch him constantly (number one priority is Wilbur-proofing the yard this spring). I would worry if I felt that he ate anything sharp (was the plastic Remy ate sharp? with edges?) - I have read tragic stories of EBs where something sharp perforated their intestine or something like that. I also try to remind myself that dogs have extremely powerful digestive systems, and should be ok with vegetative matter (I hope?)

I don't know how much this is true, but a friend of mine had to take her dog (shepherd mix) to the emerg vet because she ate a sock and some tupperware (!). Luckily there was no blockage (Kona must have thrown it up outside or something), and the vet told her that a way to tell if there is a blockage (other than days later when there is no poop and vomiting) is to lay the dog on his side and feel for distended belly and listen for gurgling (digestion noises). No gurgling could indicate a blockage, so you always want to hear gurgling. So I don't know how accurate or true that is, but apparently the emerg vet told her this.

Again I am by no means a vet and always trust your gut, if you are worried get him to a vet of course.

I hope some more experienced people comment soon, and I hope Remy is perfectly ok!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
ModernFemme - I too wish I could be of some help. Momma2bullies had some great advise. My boxer literally ate my partners cpap mask! It went missing and we assumed the cats hid it somewhere. Gracie (my boxer) was eating, drinking, pooping, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Then about three days later she threw it up. (shaking my head) I am no vet, either. But I'd think it might be thrown up rather than pooped out.
I hope all is well and everything comes out soon. Good luck and please keep us posted!

P.S. Just a disclaimer: If we had thought for a second that Gracie ate it we certainly would have taken her to the vet ASAP. A cpap mask is big and rubbery and we were so very lucky it didn't wrap around her stomach. Please don't let me give the impression that we were just sitting around waiting for the mask to come out one end or the other.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wouldn't rush to the vet, but I would call and see what they say.
Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well we don't call them Hovers for nothing, as they will eat anything. That's why it is so important to watch them all the time. I hope he chewed the bottle cap up some before swallowing it, so it will be small enough to come out the other end. All you can do is watch him and if he starts throwing up or having diarrhea, then it will be time to take him to the vet. Hope it comes out soon.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I've had surgery for blockages on 2 of my Bulldogs, so when I've found out they've eaten something that could be a potential problem I take them right in to the vet's office for a forced puke.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never a dull moment with these little vacuum cleaners... david gave you great advice.

Keep us posted and hopefully it comes out on it own

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
thankfully ive never had this problem but i think david gave great advice n keep us posted. if you have any concern at all you can always go to the vet n set your mind at ease.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The other week I was on ( poo patrol ) when I noticed there was a Barbie hand and half a leg in there. He's now banned from the kids rooms.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Well we don't call them Hovers for nothing, as they will eat anything. That's why it is so important to watch them all the time. I hope he chewed the bottle cap up some before swallowing it, so it will be small enough to come out the other end. All you can do is watch him and if he starts throwing up or having diarrhea, then it will be time to take him to the vet. Hope it comes out soon.

Did I mention inspecting dog :poo: is gross?

Nothing yet, but everything seems to be moving OK.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online