Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default eating all of the things!

Remi is eating all of the things!!

A few days ago he almost chocked on a cap to a water bottle (don't ask me how he got one) and as I was flipping him upside down to literally let gravity drop it out of his throat, he ended up swallowing it. He's been pooping ever since. I have been looking for it, but I haven't exactly seen it in a form I'm expecting.

Then this morning he somehow ate a plastic clip off of his soft crate. That's like 2 inches of plastic bits.

How alarmed should I be? Should I be rushing him to the vet, or only if he doesn't poop?

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: eating all of the things!

I can't give any medical advice, but I have the same thing with Wilbur. He has eaten (and swallowed) so much crap I can't even begin to tell you - plastic lattice work, pieces of the compost bin, kilos of wood and sticks, stuffing/fluff...he is like a vacuum, he sucks it all up before I even realize. He even eats dirt. Plain dirt, and then he comes in the house and throws up a messy mud pile. The plastic lattice was awful - it is white and lines the garden. With all the snow, I literally didn't even know he has been chewing and eating it all winter. I feel terrible. Layla spits everything out, but Wilbur swallows.

Wilbur will throw up sometimes, and sometimes I can see all the things he has eaten. He poops it out sometimes too.

I try not to worry too much and I watch him constantly (number one priority is Wilbur-proofing the yard this spring). I would worry if I felt that he ate anything sharp (was the plastic Remy ate sharp? with edges?) - I have read tragic stories of EBs where something sharp perforated their intestine or something like that. I also try to remind myself that dogs have extremely powerful digestive systems, and should be ok with vegetative matter (I hope?)

I don't know how much this is true, but a friend of mine had to take her dog (shepherd mix) to the emerg vet because she ate a sock and some tupperware (!). Luckily there was no blockage (Kona must have thrown it up outside or something), and the vet told her that a way to tell if there is a blockage (other than days later when there is no poop and vomiting) is to lay the dog on his side and feel for distended belly and listen for gurgling (digestion noises). No gurgling could indicate a blockage, so you always want to hear gurgling. So I don't know how accurate or true that is, but apparently the emerg vet told her this.

Again I am by no means a vet and always trust your gut, if you are worried get him to a vet of course.

I hope some more experienced people comment soon, and I hope Remy is perfectly ok!
    My whole world

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

ModernFemme - I too wish I could be of some help. Momma2bullies had some great advise. My boxer literally ate my partners cpap mask! It went missing and we assumed the cats hid it somewhere. Gracie (my boxer) was eating, drinking, pooping, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Then about three days later she threw it up. (shaking my head) I am no vet, either. But I'd think it might be thrown up rather than pooped out.
    I hope all is well and everything comes out soon. Good luck and please keep us posted!

P.S. Just a disclaimer: If we had thought for a second that Gracie ate it we certainly would have taken her to the vet ASAP. A cpap mask is big and rubbery and we were so very lucky it didn't wrap around her stomach. Please don't let me give the impression that we were just sitting around waiting for the mask to come out one end or the other.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't rush to the vet, but I would call and see what they say.
    Good luck.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well we don't call them Hovers for nothing, as they will eat anything. That's why it is so important to watch them all the time. I hope he chewed the bottle cap up some before swallowing it, so it will be small enough to come out the other end. All you can do is watch him and if he starts throwing up or having diarrhea, then it will be time to take him to the vet. Hope it comes out soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I've had surgery for blockages on 2 of my Bulldogs, so when I've found out they've eaten something that could be a potential problem I take them right in to the vet's office for a forced puke.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

never a dull moment with these little vacuum cleaners... david gave you great advice.

Keep us posted and hopefully it comes out on it own
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

thankfully ive never had this problem but i think david gave great advice n keep us posted. if you have any concern at all you can always go to the vet n set your mind at ease.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

The other week I was on ( poo patrol ) when I noticed there was a Barbie hand and half a leg in there. He's now banned from the kids rooms.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Well we don't call them Hovers for nothing, as they will eat anything. That's why it is so important to watch them all the time. I hope he chewed the bottle cap up some before swallowing it, so it will be small enough to come out the other end. All you can do is watch him and if he starts throwing up or having diarrhea, then it will be time to take him to the vet. Hope it comes out soon.
    Did I mention inspecting dog is gross?

Nothing yet, but everything seems to be moving OK.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    The other week I was on ( poo patrol ) when I noticed there was a Barbie hand and half a leg in there. He's now banned from the kids rooms.
    Oh my! Sounds like a job for Law and Order CSI!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Did I mention inspecting dog is gross?

Nothing yet, but everything seems to be moving OK.
    I know I shouldn't be laughing because this can sometimes be serious but... Yup we have all been there!!!!!

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Remove Ads