Help Needed! Is she really fat???

D

DaisyBulldog

I took Daisy to a new vet today, one that is closer to my home. (The chin acne really blew up again, and she is now on antibiotics.)

This vet says that Daisy is overweight. Daisy has been with me four months, and weighed a steady 47 pounds. This vet wants her to lose SEVEN pounds and be at 40. I think that is extreme! However..... I am a new bulldog owner, so I wanted to put it out there to some more educated folks. What do you all think about Daisy's body weight? I thinks she looks like a perfectly average bulldog, myself.

IMG_4753.jpgIMG_4754.jpg

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

Thanks.... that is much closer to what I was thinking......

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think 5 lbs would be good, then see if further loss would be needed.
7 lbs would give her a nice waistline tho, how much do you feed her
daily?

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

She gets one cup of Fromm grain free kibble in the AM, and in the evening, 2 cups of either the Fromm or of a dehydrated raw diet.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
She does need to lose a little bit. And you'll be surprised at how noticeable even two pounds can be, so yes, 7 might be too much. But you can just see how it goes as you cut back on her kibble a bit. HRH had put on a couple pounds a while back and we cut her back from a full cup at each meal to 3/4 cup. It made a difference fairly quickly and she has stayed pretty steady at 40 to 41 lbs since then.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just wanted to say that Daisy has a beautiful coat and coloring.

I think 7lbs is a lot of weight for her to lose. Makes me think she may become a little too thin if she lost that much. Does she get snacks throughout the day? If so, maybe cut back on the snacks or give her fresh baby carrots for treats and make sure she gets regular exercise. Honestly tho, i think she looks good.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the other... 7 lbs is a lot.... she does need some definition to her wait... so 3 or 4 lbs should do it.

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

OK, so maybe a few pounds...... but not seven. She does not get treats in between meals, either.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
She gets one cup of Fromm grain free kibble in the AM, and in the evening, 2 cups of either the Fromm or of a dehydrated raw diet.

She's young, right? If older than 2 y/o , I'd give her 1 cup am & 1 cup pm
and extend both meals w/unsalted green beans, 1/2 cup each meal. If she's
1 y/o or younger than give her 1 1/4 cup am & pm & 1/2 cup grn beans each
meal. She looks good tho, are you feeding & watering in stainless steel or glass
bowls (per the acne).

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She looks good, but maybe she could loose a couple pounds. We feed our females 3/4 cup twice a day. Getting her down to 40 lbs. in my opinion is too low, maybe around 45 lbs would be good.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaisyBulldog

[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]........ She was perfectly fine,acne wise, til I switched her stainless steel bowl to ceramic. We are now back to her original bowl. :tongue:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think she's too fat or too thin. As long as she stays that way or leaner I don't see any problem at all with her weight. Don't get me wrong, she could lose a pound or two but I would not be concerned at all with what I am seeing.

Once I took a bully to the vet who was brought to me that was extremely underweight in my opinion. I told him he needed a little meat on his bones and he said no he was fine. I think vets are so used to seeing other breeds that they don't know an emaciated bulldog when they see one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

Aw. Thanks. I think she is pretty darn perfect. :drawheart:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.