Help Needed! Perinatal fistula

Phyllis

Jan 19, 2012
Northport, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Meatball is 2 yrs old & diagnosed a week ago. He was doing really well until this morning when I was cleaning it & noticed a blood blister. The vet wants to put him on atopica & a prescription diet of z-d. Everything I've read on the Internet doesn't sound good. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this, but will tag some users who can help you with a real food instead of Science Diet.

GOOD LUCK

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What is perinatal fistula? Has that something to do with allergies? What are you feeding him now and is he allergic?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So he thinks it's a food allergy? If you don't want the raw route, you can give him cooked food as well.

Hopefully everything clears up soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this, so hopefully someone will be along soon who has.

OP
Phyllis

Phyllis

Jan 19, 2012
Northport, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Riisi - it seems to be some sort of immune difficiency. I'm feeding him Fromms beef & fritta.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i am of no help on this but perhaps [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] will know about this. good luck to your baby.

L

Lucy-licious

Meatball is 2 yrs old & diagnosed a week ago. He was doing really well until this morning when I was cleaning it & noticed a blood blister. The vet wants to put him on atopica & a prescription diet of z-d. Everything I've read on the Internet doesn't sound good. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Did you mean perianal fistula?
Looking at the Merck vet manual..early treatment of moderate perianal fistulae include upto 16 week course cyclosporine continuing for 4weeks after the last fistula is healed, combined with Ketoconazole.
mild cases can be managed with antiseptic solutions and water flushes of the fistula.

I have no experience of this or any insight to the diet. I do know that in humans it's important to keep stools soft so Im wondering if this is why the vet has suggested that diet. X

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Sorry. I only know what Angie does and that's the info from the vet manual. I assume he wants the zd to soften the stool. As much as I'm dead set against prescription foods I would follow the doctors advice on this one. The zd is temporary and controlled soft stools are safer than uncontrolled diarrhea that could make the fistula worse.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online