Can anyone help with swollen paws?

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=340]laurentourville[/MENTION] what do u use to do his nails with? The sound of the dremel freaks him out. I will try the table THANKS!!:up:

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=340]laurentourville[/MENTION] what do u use to do his nails with? The sound of the dremel freaks him out. I will try the table THANKS!!:up:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
3086d1282317635-iphone-008-jpg

these are the clippers I use, I guess they're "large breed nail clippers", our breeder gave them to us.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
if that doesnt work for you, you can go to petsmart, here they do it for 11 bucks!!!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] i'd rather do it so if someone gets bit....it'll just be me again lol. my new scar makes for a great story already i couldnt imagine two lol.
[MENTION=340]laurentourville[/MENTION] i will go buy some tomorrow!!!

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
You can't win can you poor Mr. Beefy you get one thing almost fixed then another comes along. You are right I use the old style yellow Listerine to soak paws in because it kills any germs or bacteria then if it's yeast the Glen Haven pads I used the F1W for Rocky who was the rescue I had and his paws where a mess. Also the ointment I told you about for the anal gland is used for a number of things. I used that on his paws after soaking it and drying it then wiping it with the F1W wipes I spread some in between his toes with a Q tip and with in 2 weeks they where clear. Also there's a product you can put on his paws to stop him from licking them till you get them cleared up, it's called Anti-LickStrip by Nurtured Pets Nurtured Pets > Home is their web site I used these on Rocky to and it made a big difference in the healing because he wasn't licking at them all the time. Also you can make a sock grater so he can't lick them if you want I used that at night only. I used it at night only cause they don't like walking on the socks, during the day I used the other things. You get 4 toddler socks and some elastic, cut a strip of elastic so it goes down the middle of his back and then sew and attach 4 elastic strips to old 1 sock each then attach 1 sock to each strip, I sewed them on. It looks 4 legs but it keeps them on and so they can't bite them off. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
My goodness!! I can't imagine being bitten by one of my dogs just for doing their nails! Sad to say that just wouldn't fly here.

But the pics do look like inter-digital cysts. Its usually caused from what I read by uneven pressure on the foot. When Sadie was picked up by the rescuer she had pretty darn long nails. The vet cut them very short and for about two weeks after we had to keep soaking her feet to keep them clean because she too was getting the cysts.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION] can i get that ointment from the vet? or an online petstore?
[MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION] we've only had Mr.Beefy a little over 2 mnths so he is still getting into the ease of things. A dogs auto reaction to fear is to nip but i don't think he would bite me for that I just want to be careful. The reason I was bit before was how I got my "stupid is as stupid does reward" I put my hand in the middle of a dog fight, not smart but I couldn't stand there and watch.
Update: I did go get the clippers!!! we are just slowly introducing them but he seems to be ok with it. I used the listerine and it is alot less red!!! I am sure as soon as the nails are clipped it will be soo much better. Incase some of you dont know. Mr.Beefy has only been a part of our family since the end of August and is my first real EB so while some things i may know....I am still learning lol

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
A good tip for you, have an assistant with something very very yummy to distract him by letting him lick and nibble at the treat. He'll soon associate the horrible clippers with those delightful treats.

Some simple things that can help him settle in for you are having him sit for things like outside, food bowl, treats, toys, etc. Also making sure that he is eating after the rest of the family so that he feels you have things under control. Confidence building games are another great way as well. That's simply letting him win a few games of tug of war, or letting him keep the ball after bringing it back to you.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION] Thankyou I need all the help I can get with Beefy lol. He is proving to be a:whew: worthy adversary, He is the oldest in the house now and I see its alot harder to correct learned habits that to teach new ones

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
It definitely is!! But even through all of their challenges they grow on you like no other. Sadie has taught me SO much in the past 6 months, and even on the days I swear I can't do it anymore, she gives me one of those looks and melts me lol!

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
[MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] yes the ointment is from a vet I think if you just call and let them know what's going on and what you would like they should just let you buy it. You can Google what I sent you and see what comes up as far name brands and compare prices that's what I do. If I find it on line cheaper they call my vet for the prescription and all I do is let my vet know how much i found it for and they'll be calling most times they have matched the price so I just buy from my vet. Your vet should do one or the other with out you having to in tell them you can even send the pictures to them to look at I have done that to before. Let me know if there's anything else I can do, hope all goes well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.