Can anyone help with swollen paws?

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Ok so I gte two issues under conrol and find a new one...just my luck. I noticed Beefy's paws were swollen in the front. I attached a picture to give a better view but I opened up his paws and it looked raw and irritated. I did smell it for yeast:whew: but no yeast. He has VERY meaty paws. I put some desitin on it and cleaned it with my F1 wipes just in case it turns yeasty. If anyone has had this problem before and has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks in advance!!:pray:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Never had this before but maybe could there be a sticker in his paw or something? How weird, you will get an answer soon Im sure.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Cadi has the same thing going on...she licks it all the times...I try to stop her and I put it up to nerves as she is super nervous ever since her pups, and as they get bigger, she is more and more nervous. hers paw is pink where she is licking. So I would also like to know what it is....before I have to take her into the vet.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=657]mom2bullies[/MENTION] HMM.. He licks the outside alot too. The inside is red and kinda raw. I just looked online and it said to use hemmoroide cream(for swelling) and a skin protectant. I seen on here too and I think [MENTION=897]Ann Farley Hamilton[/MENTION] had a similair situation with a rescue.... i'm pretty sure she used original listerine as an antiseptic. Maybe she can jump in here and give us a hand.
@cali~jen I checked for any type of splinter or object and nothing is there just raw and swollen.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I wonder if its like athletes foot? Maybe I can try something with an antifungal?:(

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
could it be allergies?? bo has been knawing on his foot really bad cant get him to stop and this morning i let him out to potty and he was limping....ugh :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Whenever any of ours start itching or chewing paws, I use vet solutions ear cleaner. I use this on the face, belly, tail pocket, ect. I just squeeze it onto a huggies baby wipe and massage the area. Works especially well on the paws.

vetearcleanser.jpg

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sam licks his paws because of his allergies. Changing food and his atarax that he gets twice daily has helped alot but during certain times of the year his allergies flare up and he'll be at his paws again. He always licks his paws to a certain degree which we assume is a obsessive thing.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Whenever any of ours start itching or chewing paws, I use vet solutions ear cleaner. I use this on the face, belly, tail pocket, ect. I just squeeze it onto a huggies baby wipe and massage the area. Works especially well on the paws.

vetearcleanser.jpg

Is this only from a vet??? I think I have some ear cleansing solution I think I will try that.....what do you think of wrapping the paw so she can't lick it????

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
grab a old sock and some tape it works wonders, the bf had to do that w bo today he was itchin so much!!!

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Mr.Beefy's sint form him licking since he cant lick inside if paw. Its just red and raw. That why the last two toes have that swollen skin on top because his is inside.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Horse's front paws look lke that when an interdigital cyst is forming or healing, also I have to be sure to keep his paws (in between his toes/pads on top and underneath) dry all the time. I've added wiping and drying out paws to our daily cleaning routine and it seems to be working. I just wipe with an all natural, unscented baby wipe or soft cloth and warm water, then dry with a soft cloth. Also, are his nails kinda long? We struggled with clipping Horse's nails for 3 years, and they were always too long, which made his toes spread apart and the skin in between get irritated. Now that his nails are nice and short, his paws are in much better shape. *don't take the nail thing the wrong way, they just looked kinda long in the pics, and I know that if I don't keep Horse's nails super short, his paws look exactly like mr.beefy's do in the pics, with that swolled area between the toes.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Horse's front paws look lke that when an interdigital cyst is forming or healing, also I have to be sure to keep his paws (in between his toes/pads on top and underneath) dry all the time. I've added wiping and drying out paws to our daily cleaning routine and it seems to be working. I just wipe with an all natural, unscented baby wipe or soft cloth and warm water, then dry with a soft cloth. Also, are his nails kinda long? We struggled with clipping Horse's nails for 3 years, and they were always too long, which made his toes spread apart and the skin in between get irritated. Now that his nails are nice and short, his paws are in much better shape. *don't take the nail thing the wrong way, they just looked kinda long in the pics, and I know that if I don't keep Horse's nails super short, his paws look exactly like mr.beefy's do in the pics, with that swolled area between the toes.
Yes! I tried the dremel BAHAHA he almost bit my hand off. Then I tried to file. Umm no way. So I'm either gonna take him to the vet or a groomer because 6 stitches and two scars are enough for me:up:

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
try putting him up high, on a counter or kitchen island. We had the worst time with Horse's nails, tried everything (different people clipping, vet-they tried to muzzle him lol, gave us sedatives...) I was ready to give up. Then we switched vets and he let them cut his nails no prob up on the exam table. After a few monthly $25 vet visits for nail clipping, it finally dawned on me that maybe if I put him up high he would let me do it. VOILA! it worked like magic. I just lift all 70lb of him onto the kitchen counter, and he stands there and lets me cut all of his nails. I put him down, give him a treat and he acts like it was nothing!
and yes, we had our share of bites and bruises from past attempts, no stitches but close!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.