Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help with swollen paws?

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member laurentourville's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone help with swollen paws?

Horse's front paws look lke that when an interdigital cyst is forming or healing, also I have to be sure to keep his paws (in between his toes/pads on top and underneath) dry all the time. I've added wiping and drying out paws to our daily cleaning routine and it seems to be working. I just wipe with an all natural, unscented baby wipe or soft cloth and warm water, then dry with a soft cloth. Also, are his nails kinda long? We struggled with clipping Horse's nails for 3 years, and they were always too long, which made his toes spread apart and the skin in between get irritated. Now that his nails are nice and short, his paws are in much better shape. *don't take the nail thing the wrong way, they just looked kinda long in the pics, and I know that if I don't keep Horse's nails super short, his paws look exactly like mr.beefy's do in the pics, with that swolled area between the toes.
    the bond between a child and their dog is beyond words...

Bulldog Vet in Training gatorfan85's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurentourville View Post
    Horse's front paws look lke that when an interdigital cyst is forming or healing, also I have to be sure to keep his paws (in between his toes/pads on top and underneath) dry all the time. I've added wiping and drying out paws to our daily cleaning routine and it seems to be working. I just wipe with an all natural, unscented baby wipe or soft cloth and warm water, then dry with a soft cloth. Also, are his nails kinda long? We struggled with clipping Horse's nails for 3 years, and they were always too long, which made his toes spread apart and the skin in between get irritated. Now that his nails are nice and short, his paws are in much better shape. *don't take the nail thing the wrong way, they just looked kinda long in the pics, and I know that if I don't keep Horse's nails super short, his paws look exactly like mr.beefy's do in the pics, with that swolled area between the toes.
    Yes! I tried the dremel BAHAHA he almost bit my hand off. Then I tried to file. Umm no way. So I'm either gonna take him to the vet or a groomer because 6 stitches and two scars are enough for me

Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

try putting him up high, on a counter or kitchen island. We had the worst time with Horse's nails, tried everything (different people clipping, vet-they tried to muzzle him lol, gave us sedatives...) I was ready to give up. Then we switched vets and he let them cut his nails no prob up on the exam table. After a few monthly $25 vet visits for nail clipping, it finally dawned on me that maybe if I put him up high he would let me do it. VOILA! it worked like magic. I just lift all 70lb of him onto the kitchen counter, and he stands there and lets me cut all of his nails. I put him down, give him a treat and he acts like it was nothing!
    and yes, we had our share of bites and bruises from past attempts, no stitches but close!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

@laurentourville what do u use to do his nails with? The sound of the dremel freaks him out. I will try the table THANKS!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

@laurentourville what do u use to do his nails with? The sound of the dremel freaks him out. I will try the table THANKS!!

Real Name
    Lauren Tourville
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Horse
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

these are the clippers I use, I guess they're "large breed nail clippers", our breeder gave them to us.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

if that doesnt work for you, you can go to petsmart, here they do it for 11 bucks!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

@lexterwayne i'd rather do it so if someone gets bit....it'll just be me again lol. my new scar makes for a great story already i couldnt imagine two lol.
    @laurentourville i will go buy some tomorrow!!!

Potty Trainer Ann Farley Hamilton's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You can't win can you poor Mr. Beefy you get one thing almost fixed then another comes along. You are right I use the old style yellow Listerine to soak paws in because it kills any germs or bacteria then if it's yeast the Glen Haven pads I used the F1W for Rocky who was the rescue I had and his paws where a mess. Also the ointment I told you about for the anal gland is used for a number of things. I used that on his paws after soaking it and drying it then wiping it with the F1W wipes I spread some in between his toes with a Q tip and with in 2 weeks they where clear. Also there's a product you can put on his paws to stop him from licking them till you get them cleared up, it's called Anti-LickStrip by Nurtured Pets Nurtured Pets > Home is their web site I used these on Rocky to and it made a big difference in the healing because he wasn't licking at them all the time. Also you can make a sock grater so he can't lick them if you want I used that at night only. I used it at night only cause they don't like walking on the socks, during the day I used the other things. You get 4 toddler socks and some elastic, cut a strip of elastic so it goes down the middle of his back and then sew and attach 4 elastic strips to old 1 sock each then attach 1 sock to each strip, I sewed them on. It looks 4 legs but it keeps them on and so they can't bite them off. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

My goodness!! I can't imagine being bitten by one of my dogs just for doing their nails! Sad to say that just wouldn't fly here.

But the pics do look like inter-digital cysts. Its usually caused from what I read by uneven pressure on the foot. When Sadie was picked up by the rescuer she had pretty darn long nails. The vet cut them very short and for about two weeks after we had to keep soaking her feet to keep them clean because she too was getting the cysts.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Beefy
    Likes (Received)

@Ann Farley Hamilton can i get that ointment from the vet? or an online petstore?
    @froggz we've only had Mr.Beefy a little over 2 mnths so he is still getting into the ease of things. A dogs auto reaction to fear is to nip but i don't think he would bite me for that I just want to be careful. The reason I was bit before was how I got my "stupid is as stupid does reward" I put my hand in the middle of a dog fight, not smart but I couldn't stand there and watch.
    Update: I did go get the clippers!!! we are just slowly introducing them but he seems to be ok with it. I used the listerine and it is alot less red!!! I am sure as soon as the nails are clipped it will be soo much better. Incase some of you dont know. Mr.Beefy has only been a part of our family since the end of August and is my first real EB so while some things i may know....I am still learning lol

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

A good tip for you, have an assistant with something very very yummy to distract him by letting him lick and nibble at the treat. He'll soon associate the horrible clippers with those delightful treats.

Some simple things that can help him settle in for you are having him sit for things like outside, food bowl, treats, toys, etc. Also making sure that he is eating after the rest of the family so that he feels you have things under control. Confidence building games are another great way as well. That's simply letting him win a few games of tug of war, or letting him keep the ball after bringing it back to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads