Help Needed! Arthritis due to over walking ?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I've never heard of that. I do know excess jumping and pressure on their joints can be bad down the road..but a normal walk seems fine! I worry about the heat but not arthritis..

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363293279.557666.jpg

It was a stand in vet. She also told me to watch his weight ? I thought he looked fine. She said puppy bones are soft, walking over 15/ 20 mins max as bulldogs are top heavy. Also so up n down the stairs.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The weight, I agree and it should be monitored. But your Diesel looks perfect! She has a defined waist and doesn't look over weight at all. I agree with the stairs too. Their joints are softer when they're puppies so we shouldn't apply too much pressure until they mature. But walking should be gentle enough I would think.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help

Holy crap, I'll walk Remi 20-45 minutes a day on average, even more when he was younger. (He's 8 months now)

This might be the wrong call, but I think an overweight bully causes way more issues than one who is in good shape. I think the hip stuff / arthritis is going happen regardless if they are prone. I'm totally not a vet, but that just seems so backwards to me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.