Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Default Arthritis due to over walking ?

Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
    I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
    my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arthritis due to over walking ?

I've never heard of that. I do know excess jumping and pressure on their joints can be bad down the road..but a normal walk seems fine! I worry about the heat but not arthritis..

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.
    -imageuploadedbytapatalk-21363293279-557666-jpg

It was a stand in vet. She also told me to watch his weight ? I thought he looked fine. She said puppy bones are soft, walking over 15/ 20 mins max as bulldogs are top heavy. Also so up n down the stairs.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The weight, I agree and it should be monitored. But your Diesel looks perfect! She has a defined waist and doesn't look over weight at all. I agree with the stairs too. Their joints are softer when they're puppies so we shouldn't apply too much pressure until they mature. But walking should be gentle enough I would think.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
    I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
    my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help
    Holy crap, I'll walk Remi 20-45 minutes a day on average, even more when he was younger. (He's 8 months now)

This might be the wrong call, but I think an overweight bully causes way more issues than one who is in good shape. I think the hip stuff / arthritis is going happen regardless if they are prone. I'm totally not a vet, but that just seems so backwards to me.

Remove Ads