Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Default Arthritis due to over walking ?

Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
    I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
    my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arthritis due to over walking ?

I've never heard of that. I do know excess jumping and pressure on their joints can be bad down the road..but a normal walk seems fine! I worry about the heat but not arthritis..

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    I'm with Becky. I've read that it's better to walk for a lesser length time but more often when our bullies get older. Helps with joint problems.
    -imageuploadedbytapatalk-21363293279-557666-jpg

It was a stand in vet. She also told me to watch his weight ? I thought he looked fine. She said puppy bones are soft, walking over 15/ 20 mins max as bulldogs are top heavy. Also so up n down the stairs.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The weight, I agree and it should be monitored. But your Diesel looks perfect! She has a defined waist and doesn't look over weight at all. I agree with the stairs too. Their joints are softer when they're puppies so we shouldn't apply too much pressure until they mature. But walking should be gentle enough I would think.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post
    Hi diesel is 8 months + now and he loves going out. When I had him at the vets he told me not to walk him over 15-20 mins a day. He said bully's are prone to arthritis if over walked as puppy's.
    I however think diesel wants to walk more, anytime I walk past the front door he's at it. If his lead is on the floor he nudges it etc.
    my dilemma is do I walk him more as he wants which in later life could damage my boy or just keep doing what I am doing 15 - 20 mins everyday with a longer walk on either Saturday or Sunday

Help
    Holy crap, I'll walk Remi 20-45 minutes a day on average, even more when he was younger. (He's 8 months now)

This might be the wrong call, but I think an overweight bully causes way more issues than one who is in good shape. I think the hip stuff / arthritis is going happen regardless if they are prone. I'm totally not a vet, but that just seems so backwards to me.

Remove Ads