Help Needed! What meds were used in neuter/hernia repair?

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am booking Winston for his neuter and hernia repair soon. Just wondering what anesthesia was used when your pups went in. My vet does not specialize in bulldogs...none do in our area do.
Help me please!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I will tag [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] Jamie lives in Canada as well and may be able to give you some advice. In my opinion I wouldn't have a vet perform surgery if they arent experienced with bulldogs! Its too risky to begin with! They have to use a gas I belive but cant remember the name off hand! I will tag some members who can help [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am booking Winston for his neuter and hernia repair soon. Just wondering what anesthesia was used when your pups went in. My vet does not specialize in bulldogs...none do in our area do.
Help me please!

Isoflourane gas...is the safest for Bully's. please call around until you find one who will use it. Hopefully..your vet is familiar with it.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
iso is the one you want. Just make sure they don't use Ace.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'll go ask around and see if there's anyone in Sudbury who's experienced.

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I called all the vets in town before I got my boy. Some have worked with bulldogs but none especially. I chose mine because they had worked with a few in the past. I called today and they use iso....the vet will be calling me back soon to discuss it further. I will give an update once I have more info. Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I called all the vets in town before I got my boy. Some have worked with bulldogs but none especially. I chose mine because they had worked with a few in the past. I called today and they use iso....the vet will be calling me back soon to discuss it further. I will give an update once I have more info. Thanks!

:clap: Great job!

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

You sound like you did your hw. Trust your gut! :)

Here's a name from the local bully rescue here:

Lockerby, Dr Wilkenson or Baxter, Dr Baxter. Both are fantastic people!

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the info, I truly appreciate it! :)
I just spoke with my vet and she has neutered a bully recently...which relieves me a bit. She assured me that they take special care because of the breathing, pallate and tongue of the breed. The meds that are commonly used in a neuter are opioids, buprenorphine or hydro morphone, propoflo and isoflourane gas. Just in case anyone was wondering. Winston is booked for May 3rd and I'm already nervous for him. I will be further researching all of these drugs but the vet says they like to use drugs that don't cause repository distress.

BarkingStella

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Peggy ,Stella ,Gabby
From my days working in the vet clinic, I will tell you that post op recovery is the scariest time. The rule is someone needs to have their eyes on the bulldog at all times. And for much longer than you would normally monitor a "normal" dog. I would not hesitate to tell the clinic that if they are not familiar with anesthesia for bulldogs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i will be thinking of winston. sarah just had hernia surgery a few weeks ago. she did really good. you may want to let your bully stay the night. we opted to let sarah stay the night as she had breast cancer surgery to and her surgery was at 12 and at 4 she was ok but i opted to let her stay because of the seriousness of it. she had one small complication that night so im glad she stayed. she also stayed the night and most of the next day for her emergency spay this summer. im sure it will be fine but you will always be nervous. :hug: to you from sarah and me

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.