Thread: After effects of Entropion/Dry Eye and what you use to keep the eye(s) moisturized

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

Question After effects of Entropion/Dry Eye and what you use to keep the eye(s) moisturized

So the Diva had Cherry Eye when she was a baby which I had taken care of. A few years after that she had Entropion which the vet also fixed but he said that she would most likely suffer from Dry Eye. Well she does.

I recently weaned her off one dog food and got her on another and the eye was doing really well...it wouldn't gum up and get all red, however, now that we have made the total switch, her eye has gone back to being mucous-y. I get a compounded eye drop (Cyclosporin in a Corn Oil) and it helps...does anyone know of anything else that would also work? it seems that she cannot be without it. I don't think she sees well, if at all with that eye, to be honest.
    It's her Left eye.

Also, if I suspect that she is allergic to Corn, should I get the Vet to mix the cyclosporin with another oil?

Name:  Lissy march 2013.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  6.8 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -lissy-pic-mar2013-jpg  

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: After effects of Entropion/Dry Eye and what you use to keep the eye(s) moisturized

There is a bit more to dry eye than that. The vet will do a test to see at what level the tear ducts are working for each eye and prescribe from the results. HRH gets Optimmune in each eye once a day now and will forever probably. Optimmune is prescription and $38 about every 2 months. Ask your vet about it.

Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: After effects of Entropion/Dry Eye and what you use to keep the eye(s) moisturized

Thanks Bruce! I will ask about that! I really think I need to be going to a bulldog vet but there really isn't one on my side of town and getting around Austin is CRAZY. My last vet in San Antonio was the BEST! Anyhow, thanks a lot!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I am no help. Was going to tag @BruceP on this but as always he already helped.

Lucy-licious

Hope you find a good treatment for her pretty eyes

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Goldie, my foster has chronic dry eye and her vet prescribed the cyclosporine for her eyes as well. Another thing I give her that I noticed works really well is Respiratory Support supplement from CarolinaPetPantry.com. I use this because she always sounds congested and raspy. Since she's been using this I hardly ever have to wipe the gook out of her eyes or wipe the crusty stuff off even if I don't use the cyclosporine regularly. She just got back from being spayed and after only one day of not having the supplement twice a day, I'm wiping her eyes from gook and crust.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all, will definitely consider your recommendations!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine215 View Post
    Thanks all, will definitely consider your recommendations!

Hello Alix, hoping you find a better solution for your bully's eye (I too, would
    be concerned about the corn oil base).

I'm just up the road from you in Waco-son, Aaron is visiting a friend and going to
    the music/film craziness going on, are you going to it? GOD bless! Carol

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

Hello Alix, hoping you find a better solution for your bully's eye (I too, would
    be concerned about the corn oil base).

I'm just up the road from you in Waco-son, Aaron is visiting a friend and going to
    the music/film craziness going on, are you going to it? GOD bless! Carol
    Hey there Carol! I was wondering where you were located! I am actually in Dripping Springs (should probably change it on my profile) which is a town about 13 miles SW of Austin on the way to Johnson City. it's in the Hill Country. I did not do any SXSW this year...it is getting to be too crazy and I would rather stay home and chill with the Diva!

Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kim n the guys View Post
    Goldie, my foster has chronic dry eye and her vet prescribed the cyclosporine for her eyes as well. Another thing I give her that I noticed works really well is Respiratory Support supplement from CarolinaPetPantry.com. I use this because she always sounds congested and raspy. Since she's been using this I hardly ever have to wipe the gook out of her eyes or wipe the crusty stuff off even if I don't use the cyclosporine regularly. She just got back from being spayed and after only one day of not having the supplement twice a day, I'm wiping her eyes from gook and crust.
    I think I am going to order this. Her eye seemed to get better and I thought it was her food but now its back so I don't think its her food. I think she just has allergies which makes the dry-eye worse. bummer. At least you know it works!

Remove Ads